90 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrNickyD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got a 90 gallon with a overflow and a stand. I'm still in need of everything else and I wanted to get ideas of what to look for. My next step is to get a sump, skimmer and pump. I just want some options on brands to look for. Thank

I would suggest on building your own sump as it may be cheaper if done right the first time.
as for the skimmer Eshopps has quality skimmers for a good price.

Depending on how much space you have to work with I would probably make a sump out of a 29g tank for something that size and it will definitely save you a bundle of money.

A good skimmer is the reef octopus. It's an affordable one made to go in a sump. Have you looked at any ro/di units? Also, what kind of lighting are you thinking about?

I have a 90 myself and made the sump out of a 40 breeder tank

image-1091313902.jpg

Depending on how much space you have to work with I would probably make a sump out of a 29g tank for something that size and it will definitely save you a bundle of money. A good skimmer is the reef octopus. It's an affordable one made to go in a sump. Have you looked at any ro/di units? Also, what kind of lighting are you thinking about?
I thought about ro/di But I am limit on room I live in a apartment and wouldn't I need to store the ro/di water in a bin or could I hook up to the faucet and let it pour into my tank if I was to buy the ro/di system.

I store water in two 6 gallon pails the day before I do water change, premix it and you are good to go

You wouldn't need that much to store only what you are using for water changes, 10% a week

Fill the tank from the tap add prime to make the water safe, that's what it's called in Canada. Add your salt and there's your stating point.

Fill the tank from the tap add prime to make the water safe, that's what it's called in Canada. Add your salt and there's your stating point.

Okay for fish only, but not a reef unless your city provides water with 0ppm. Maybe Canada's water is better, but any contaminates get concentrated thru evaporation in your tank. Those contaminates can raise havoc. Good luck on your build.

How long you think it take to get 100 gallons of ro/di water when u hook up the system to ur sink and let it run

How long you think it take to get 100 gallons of ro/di water when u hook up the system to ur sink and let it run

It depends on a few different things like your water pressure and the rating of the unit. The cheaper units filter out 75 gallons per day at most while others can make a lot more than that

How did u guys fill ur tanks

I added the sand, then water, and then salt in that order. Then I turned my powerheads on making sure to mix it well and went out to buy live rock the next day after my salinity was adjusted. If I were doing it again I would mix the salt water in a separate container to fill the tank with.

Did u just use tap water?

I did but my tap water is very high quality for fish. 0 ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, or phosphates, miniscule amounts of silicates, and very low levels of other contaminates. I've been using it for 7 months with no issues from it but I am still going to invest in a ro/di unit.

It's rare for people to have tap water as good as mine from what I've seen

Yea you got lucky. I was going to buy already made SW but that's costly and that's a lot of jugs lol

Back
Top Bottom