Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

90 to 125 upgrade

So it is time to start. I know maybe it is not a lot of difference in water volume, but I love 6 ft. tanks. But it is a lot of work ahead of me. It is tuesday evening. On wednesday morning i will start the stand. Later, I will take everything apart. Brake down this stand <part of the wall>. Clean everything and prepare for next day. I will have to clean and tape walls. My new stand will be free standing. This stand sits on tile, my new stand is 2 ft. longer and it will go over the carpet. Next month i will replace carpet with floating floor. But now i need to build 2 feet into a carpet tile floor just under stand so it is strait tile line for the tank. And that floating floor will go around stand. I plan to move back and run new on saturday - the latest. So this is my question for you. Live rock <around 100 pounds> and fishes < yellow, hippo tangs, maroon clown,flame angel, midas blenny, strawberry dottyback will go to 55 gal with, maybe, skimmer, 2 power heads with water from display tank, mandarin and small frags, crocea clam will go to my 20 gal. QT fully cycled running for the last 3 months with some live rock if still be some place i put there some corals. Big corals will go to 20 gal. plastic bin with just power heads and old water. You think everything will survive till saturday with almost no light. It will be like 3 days. What you guys think? God please help me!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The coral is my main concern with no light. It might not die, but will look bad and might take a little while to recover. If there's any way you can put some light on it that'd be great. I'm with you though. I love 6ft tanks. I have a 55g right now, and I'd love to upgrade to one, but right now I'm not in a permanent location (still with my parents for a little while) and I'm in no way financially able to upgrade that big right now (other things I wanna take care of first). Although I have FW and not SW.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Really pretty setup by the way
Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

O.K. Five hours of work and couple trips to Menards and stand is done. Later in the evening i will put stain and varnish. Trim and doors can wait till next week . Now lunch and start to move livestock and tear old stand apart.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

That crocea will suffer the most. I have an extra 70w Viper K-2 that you can borrow till saturday if you want to put over that 20g. I'm in hoffman estates/schaumburg, LMK.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
That crocea will suffer the most. I have an extra 70w Viper K-2 that you can borrow till saturday if you want to put over that 20g. I'm in hoffman estates/schaumburg, LMK.
Thanks but i put corals with fishes and live rock in 55 gal. and i can run my t5 and MH for couple hours. Maybe they survive.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is 11 pm and I'm dead. Today I did a stand, moved everything from 90 gal. and took apart stand. It does not look good. I will do some drywall and tile work tommorow. Tank coming tommorow evening, I should be ready. Three questions for you guys. 1. Should I use old sand? Have 2 5 gal. buckets. Or just around 30% to seed bacteria.2. I asked before should I use foam like Larry between frame and 2/4. 3.I think is the good idea to use egg create on the bottom of the tank so live rock if slips it does not touch directly glass. I think egg create is saltwater save. What do you guys think????? Please let me know...
Old 08-19-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur View Post
It is 11 pm and I'm dead. Today I did a stand, moved everything from 90 gal. and took apart stand. It does not look good. I will do some drywall and tile work tommorow. Tank coming tommorow evening, I should be ready. Three questions for you guys. 1. Should I use old sand? Have 2 5 gal. buckets. Or just around 30% to seed bacteria.2. I asked before should I use foam like Larry between frame and 2/4. 3.I think is the good idea to use egg create on the bottom of the tank so live rock if slips it does not touch directly glass. I think egg create is saltwater save. What do you guys think????? Please let me know...
1. Yes use the sand. Are you going to add anymore? you will probably see a diatom bloom it it is a significant amount
2. Only if the take is acrylic. glass tanks are made to be supported by the edges.
3. Eggcrate will work on the bottom of the tank.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

1. No, do not use the sand. You can use a couple handfuls off the top to seed the bacteria, but there is a lot of nasty crap that accumulated in the sand after awhile. If you have enough fresh SW to rinse it all through, then you'll probably be fine. Otherwise, don't.
2. No foam, use some shims if you need to level the tank.
3. Eggcrate works really well if you do eggcrate first, secure the rock to it with some putty, then put sand over it.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

That looks like a lot of work. WOW. Though I too also like 6' tanks and it should look great when you are done!

Tags
125 gallon, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com