Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I don't want to but I can't wait to see some life in this tank. I'm glad to see some progress and looking forward to more!

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
Chip in on the skimmer and it'll happen faster

Sadly there's a lot less income these days so tank is moving at a slower pace, but it's moving this time!

Old 04-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice! I'll be tagging along if you don't mind since I'm setting up my 90 In a month
Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mmkay folks. Equipment has been finalized!

For a controller we will be running the Profilux Plus II
It will control the vortech and the aqua illuminations so that's extra super awesome. Plus a lot of extra tank security features I liked.
ProfiLux Plus II

Looking at running 3 media reactors/chambers to help keep down excess nutrients in the water. Going to be going with 3 MRC FMC-415s.

Looking into a future calcium reactor, also an MRC. Their CR-1 single reactor.

MRC is My Reef Creations. They're a local company, i've met a few of the guys and they're good people. Pretty nice stuff too.

Going with a Tunze 9011 for the skimmer. I really liked the Octopus 6, but the footprint is almost double the tunze for pretty equal ratings. Not gonna happen.

I really need to finalize actually plumbing to I can build/buy the sump and get it going. Aiming for June to have this puppy cycling. Going with baserock from a combo of marcorocks and reefcleaners. For what I've spent/willspend on this tank, liverock is just too much. I can make my own for that price.

so there you have it. Pictureless progress but progress nonetheless.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Woo! June is gonna be fast! You may have your tank cycle before Jen...

Hmmm.... *doses some ammonia*
Old 05-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Holy flippin crap flake.. we've been talkin for a couple months now, and I had no idea you were puttin this together.. This is fantastic, some of that equipment is top of the line in the industry.

I am gonna follow this thread for sure.. Amazing!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Following

I feel your pain on slow starts. My 55 is taking a tad longer than I'd hoped...but long for me is two weeks.
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, official ordering of *A* controller, just not the one listed above.

So Profilux officially lost my business for a number of reasons. In quadruple checking my modules, I noticed that the vortech module ONLY works on the 3. So we looked at the three. It appeared to even contain the modules needed to work the salinity probe! How Awesome!

So I go to order this (now more expensive) controller. In two attempts, their system would not take my order. How odd. I go to their forums (which are mostly in german) to look for a clue. It is there I discover that in order to measure salinity I would need a 3EX, the three does NOT have the module built in. Upon further reading I discovered the picture and description on their site of the 3, is really the 3EX.

I'm terribly thankful their system failed horribly. There's no real description of what is needed for anything on top of being a much more expensive system. If I cannot even figure out what I need and your support sends me to an aquarium forum, I am frustrated.

I decided to go with a system that I was confident would do what I asked it to. It won't do anywhere near as much, but it will do it cheaply. I went with the Reef Keeper Elite. It will still email me, it still has an iphone app and I can eventually measure salinity. Not to mention a quarter of the price. Now I will use the AI controller I already had and the vortech controller I already had. The cabling won't be as pretty, but Digital Aquatics can at least tell me what their software can do.

It will be here next week.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice! If there's one controller I've personally ever heard of with good use its the Reef Keeper, so this is awesome!

Progressssss!
Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I heard REALLY good things about the apex, but I really wanted the ability to use an iphone to check my tank, and that's one thing the apex WON'T do.

I've used the reef keepers before, so i'd rather go with something i've at least tinkered with rather than something i've never touched. Comfortzone and what not.

Tags
build, high tech, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com