Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Great news about your tang!

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good news indeed. I second the OSO spirulina flake Mike suggested. It is the only flake I feed in my tank and is a great veggie suppliment at feeding time.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

As for keeping the nori in the clip, I use a half-sheet at a time. I then fold that in half, then form a triangle folding it corner to corner, then make a smaller triangle by folding it half using the other corners. I then clip it at the open end of the last fold, leaving the unbound edges free. The fish can then tear off a piece from any one of several sheets.

It holds up much better this way, though the tang or FoxFace will tear off a large piece on occasion. That usually leads to the other one grabbing the opposite end of the torn piece and watching a tug of war between the two. Lot's of fun to watch. Some smaller pieces do end up as floaters and the coral beauty or blue tang (still a juvenile) go chasing after if one of the bigger guys doesn't. Still some always makes it to the overflow where it get stuck and the snails then take over and finish it off.

There is a definite pecking order here with the Sailfin Tang and Foxface Lo as co-equals at the top, followed by the blue tang (now) and then the coral beauty.

I've heard of taking a piece and rolling it up tightly, then rubber banding that to a piece of rock.

Either method makes the fish work a bit to get their share.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am going to need pictures...sounds like nori origami to me.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I'm sure it's just my explanaiton. I'll try to remeber to take photos the next time I feed them (like later today after my pwc).
Old 04-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando View Post
I am going to need pictures...sounds like nori origami to me.
LOL
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

OK, I just posted a thread titled "How I feed Nori - with photo's"

Hope that helps
Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
A 1/2 sheet I think would be quite a bit too much for 1 PBT and 1 Coral Beauty though....

I usually take a 1-2" Wide by 2-3" Long piece fold it in 1/2 then clip it. The problem is after a couple of hours it gets real soft, and one peck at it after that and its floating..

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

You should try rolling it into a tight tube so it will hold together longer.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:51 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
I tried the rolling into a tube, and it works better than just hanging a piece loose, but still not soo great.

Next I tried the Nori Finger Football, only in a version 1/4 sheet, and that works the best at holding together.

P.S. Are all heaters tempature controlled, or do some work on a timer basis? The reason I ask is because The 300w heater I am using, I can see running when the tank is at 80 degrees (While the MH's are on), Yet when the MH's are shut off the tank maintains 78.6. So I'm wondering if this heater works on a timer to maintain heat vs temp controlled!?

-TheChad

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue tang, powder, setup, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com