90g Setup Completed. Powder Blue Tang *Crossing Fingers*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They only work on a timer if you add a timer between the heater and the outlet <g>
With the fan blowing across the top of my tank my heater also comes on at times to maintain the temp.

I ment timer as internal timer... In other words, If the 70 degree setting intermally ment the heater would come one for 15 seconds every 12 minutes.

Which means reguardless of the water temp, that heater is going to come on every 12 minutes. Where Temp controlled, the heater would only come on when the tank temp drops below its set tempature.

I thought All heaters were temp controlled, but this heater comes on when the tank is well above the heaters set point. I think this is contributing to my tank getting over 80 degrees with the MH's on.

-TheChad

I thought All heaters were temp controlled, but this heater comes on when the tank is well above the heaters set point. I think this is contributing to my tank getting over 80 degrees with the MH's on.

To be honest, it sounds to me like your heater is faulty. What could be happening, is the thermostat is stuck so it just turns on, but perhaps another fault or a safety feature designed to keep it from over heating could be turning it off. Then when it cools down it turns back on. What brand of heater is it?

I think I would look into replacing that heater ASAP.

If the heater is going on when the temperature above the setting you need to lower the setting. If it stll happens then the heater is bad and needs to be replaced. Heaters are always off from their settings, but they should never come on once the water is above high point as measure by a thermometer (not the built in one in the heater).

If the heater is going on when the temperature above the setting you need to lower the setting. If it stll happens then the heater is bad and needs to be replaced. Heaters are always off from their settings, but they should never come on once the water is above high point as measure by a thermometer (not the built in one in the heater).

I tried lowering the setting, but then the tank drops too cold when the lights are off. Right now When the lights are off, the tank sits at 78.6, but then the MH's are on, the tank temp will get to between 81-83 degrees by the end of the MH cycle (10 Hours).

I have seen the heater come on when the thermometer is reading 80 degrees. I have some aquarium clip on fans on order, I am going to see what happens once I get those in place. I would like to keep the tank between 78-80 degrees, with out going over, or droping under. If the fan's don't do it, I'm going to try a new heater.

You guys have any experience with those titanium heaters? I like how they are externally adjustable, since my heater will be in my sump once stabilized.

Thanks,

-TheChad

I have a titanium heater. It has a seperate temperature probe. The reading on the display is about 1½ - 3 degrees off the thermometer, so still use one when setting it up.

I have a titanium heater. It has a seperate temperature probe. The reading on the display is about 1½ - 3 degrees off the thermometer, so still use one when setting it up.

I use a Coralife Digital Thermometer, I am wondering if I should use an old fashion analog thermometer, I wonder if the digital's are all off!?

I am dialed in now so with the lights off, the tank stays between 78.0-78.6, and by the daylight cycle, i'm at 82.5-83.5.

That's still alittle hotter than I'd like to be, but I havent Got the fans up yet, Once i do that hopefully it'll stay under 82 degrees.

-TheChad

I bought a lab grade glass thermometer to check my others. It agrees with my Digital Big Temp. Both show the heater readings to be off. It also agress with the $1.40 plastic thermometer with the suction cup that I got at the discount pet store.
At least now I know.

Back
Top Bottom