Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgameman1 View Post
Aww, that's upsetting. I feel like I would be able to get enough copepods? Or am I just trying to make excuses to have a mandarin?
Making excuses lol. When I had a six line he destroyed my pod population in about a week.
__________________

__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:05 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Dgameman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I'd start cleaning it once every other week. Skunks and peppermints do fine with each other. How long have you had the star?
I've had the start for about 3-4 days now, why do you ask?

Is one peppermint and one skunk acceptable?
__________________

__________________
Dgameman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Dgameman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Making excuses lol. When I had a six line he destroyed my pod population in about a week.
Aww I guess no mandarin fish
__________________
Dgameman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgameman1 View Post
I've had the start for about 3-4 days now, why do you ask?

Is one peppermint and one skunk acceptable?
Keep us updated on how it does. They are notorious for slowly dying.
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Dgameman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Keep us updated on how it does. They are notorious for slowly dying.
Woah, seriously??? Why is that? Anything I could do to prevent it? Any other starfish you recommend?
__________________
Dgameman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:10 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Dgameman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 105
OH WOOPS! I almost forgot! I have a balloon molly in my tank as well :P
__________________
Dgameman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:11 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgameman1 View Post
Woah, seriously??? Why is that? Anything I could do to prevent it? Any other starfish you recommend?
They either starve or don't acclimate properly. It is not really known what they eat. People on here have seen them eat asterina stars an sponges but no one is 100% sure of their true diet.
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:17 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
alco1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Victoira, Australia
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgameman1 View Post
When you say I shouldn't rely on my biological filter, why do you say that?

reason is removing the canister filter means your purely relying on the live rock to filter your water.... the canister filter is there to filter your water and you've already got it setup.... I would think its just a waste if your remove it. Plus about the whole phosphate factory.... as long as you properly clean it then theres no problem
__________________
View my 265g DIY tank so far
alco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:17 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Keithhjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,673
Yeah unfortunately in a tank that size you are limited to how many pods you are going to be able to sustain. That six line alone will decimate it fast. Even without a six line and a fuge for growing pods a Mandarin not accepting prepared foods would likely clear the population. Also as mentioned the Mabdarin does best in an established tank. The starfish too might not be able to get enough to eat, hence the slowly dying mentioned. They also are intolerant of poor/changing conditions. And as asked do you have strong lighting cuz the nem & the clam require maximum light, and mature systems.
__________________
Keithhjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:20 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Dgameman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco1 View Post
reason is removing the canister filter means your purely relying on the live rock to filter your water.... the canister filter is there to filter your water and you've already got it setup.... I would think its just a waste if your remove it. Plus about the whole phosphate factory.... as long as you properly clean it then theres no problem
But if I could sell the canister filter, I would love to just do that and then add a bunch of more live rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post
Yeah unfortunately in a tank that size you are limited to how many pods you are going to be able to sustain. That six line alone will decimate it fast. Even without a six line and a fuge for growing pods a Mandarin not accepting prepared foods would likely clear the population. Also as mentioned the Mabdarin does best in an established tank. The starfish too might not be able to get enough to eat, hence the slowly dying mentioned. They also are intolerant of poor/changing conditions. And as asked do you have strong lighting cuz the nem & the clam require maximum light, and mature systems.
Alright, no mandarin it is

I have 2 corallight fixtures.
One is a T5 Dual and the other is a T5HO Dual
62 watts from T5HO and 36 watts from T5
__________________

__________________
Dgameman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.