A couple of different questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dgameman1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 29 gallon tank,
I currently use a 206 Fluval Canister filter

I have 2 corallight fixtures. One is a T5 Dual and the other is a T5HO Dual
62 watts from T5HO and 36 watts from T5

Orange/White Clownfish
Black/White Clownfish
Sailfin Blenny
Six-Line Wrasse
Balloon Molly
Maxima Clam
RBTA
Orange Starfish
Button Polyp (I think)

Now onto my questions

0. See any incompatibilities in my tank?

1. I have a BUNCH of green hair algae, I've read that it's usually because of over feeding, so I"m going to start feeding them less and less. How does this sound?

2. I've read that a canister filter isn't really needed and may even be a phosphate factory. If remove the canister filter? How will my tank be filtered? I have live rock and live sand. I don't understand how those two things can actually make the water cleaner.

3. Answered - SixLine Wrasse would eat all the copepods! :( I really want a Mandarin Dragonet and am set on making a tiny fuge just to host copepods. Would a Mandarin Dragonet be able to live in the same tank with the fish I currently have in my tank with the corals?

4. I would also like to add some Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. Any ideas on how many I should add? Is one okay? Will he get along with all my fish and corals? Do they eat Aiptasia too? Anything to suggest for that?

5. Answered - No Seahorses! Seahorses, I know that they usually die from starvation because other animals are able to get to the food before them. But what if I have a fuge of copepods? Would that help? There would just be so many copepods in there that i'm sure the seahorse could grab something to eat?

6. Anything else you guys suggest? and thank you so much.

I currently have a 29 gallon tank, I currently use a 206 Fluval Canister filter with... Orange/White Clownfish Black/White Clownfish Sailfin Blenny Six-Line Wrasse Maxima Clam RBTA Orange Starfish Button Polyp (I think) Now onto my questions 0. See any incompatibilities in my tank? 1. I have a BUNCH of green hair algae, I've read that it's usually because of over feeding, so I"m going to start feeding them less and less. How does this sound? 2. I've read that a canister filter isn't really needed and may even be a phosphate factory. If remove the canister filter? How will my tank be filtered? I have live rock and live sand. I don't understand how those two things can actually make the water cleaner. 3. I really want a Mandarin Dragonet and am set on making a tiny fuge just to host copepods. Would a Mandarin Dragonet be able to live in the same tank with the fish I currently have in my tank with the corals? 4. I would also like to add some Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. Any ideas on how many I should add? Is one okay? Will he get along with all my fish and corals? Do they eat Aiptasia too? Anything to suggest for that? 5. Seahorses, I know that they usually die from starvation because other animals are able to get to the food before them. But what if I have a fuge of copepods? Would that help? There would just be so many copepods in there that i'm sure the seahorse could grab something to eat? 6. Anything else you guys suggest? and thank you so much.
The live rock & sand are your biological filter. They aren't mechanical filters. They are where the beneficial bacteria grow. Canister filters can become nitrate factories, not phosphate. Just clean it weekly and you are ok. Also I wouldn't get a Mandarin in a tank that small with a six line wrasse. The wrasse will eat all the pods and the Mandarin will be out competed for food. Same goes for the seahorse, not to mention they pretty much should be in a species only tank.

I currently have a 29 gallon tank, I currently use a 206 Fluval Canister filter with...

Orange/White Clownfish
Black/White Clownfish
Sailfin Blenny
Six-Line Wrasse
Maxima Clam
RBTA
Orange Starfish
Button Polyp (I think)

Now onto my questions

0. See any incompatibilities in my tank?

1. I have a BUNCH of green hair algae, I've read that it's usually because of over feeding, so I"m going to start feeding them less and less. How does this sound?

2. I've read that a canister filter isn't really needed and may even be a phosphate factory. If remove the canister filter? How will my tank be filtered? I have live rock and live sand. I don't understand how those two things can actually make the water cleaner.

3. I really want a Mandarin Dragonet and am set on making a tiny fuge just to host copepods. Would a Mandarin Dragonet be able to live in the same tank with the fish I currently have in my tank with the corals?

4. I would also like to add some Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. Any ideas on how many I should add? Is one okay? Will he get along with all my fish and corals? Do they eat Aiptasia too? Anything to suggest for that?

5. Seahorses, I know that they usually die from starvation because other animals are able to get to the food before them. But what if I have a fuge of copepods? Would that help? There would just be so many copepods in there that i'm sure the seahorse could grab something to eat?

6. Anything else you guys suggest? and thank you so much.

First off how old is the tank? What lights do you have? That maxima and rbta need intense lighting.

1. Feeding less and are you using ro/di water?
2. Live rock houses most of your beneficial bacteria. When the powerheads push water through it all the harmful chemicals in the water get broken down. A canister needs to be cleaned regularly. How often do you clean it?
3. No that six line has probably wiped your tank out of pods already. Also, a tiny fuge will never be able to keep up with a mandarin.
4. Skunk cleaners are fine. You could do one or a couple. They don't eat coral or aiptasia. Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss when it comes to eating aiptasia.
5. Seahorses really need their own tank to meet all their needs. The fish you have now will definitely outcompete them. Research the ponies and then setup a tank just for them if you want them.
6. How long have you had the "orange starfish"? I'm assuming its a linckia which are not very hardy,

The live rock & sand are your biological filter. They aren't mechanical filters. They are where the beneficial bacteria grow. Canister filters can become nitrate factories, not phosphate. Just clean it weekly and you are ok. Also I wouldn't get a Mandarin in a tank that small with a six line wrasse. The wrasse will eat all the pods and the Mandarin will be out competed for food. Same goes for the seahorse, not to mention they pretty much should be in a species only tank.

Okay that sounds great. Thank you! But how would I stop like physical particles from being swished around inside my filter?

1. I won't get a seahorse at all then.

2. What about the Mandarin, would it be possible to get the mandarin if i have enough copepods? and would it be realistic to even get that many copepods?

Okay that sounds great. Thank you! But how would I stop like physical particles from being swished around inside my filter?

1. I won't get a seahorse at all then.

2. What about the Mandarin, would it be possible to get the mandarin if i have enough copepods? and would it be realistic to even get that many copepods?

The six line will constantly outcompete the mandarin. They're much more efficient hunters.

2. I would say don't remove your filter..... That will mean you don't really have any sort of filtration setup except for your biological filter from your live rock.... which you really wouldn't want rely on.... unless you like to do a WC every 2-3days lol

3. Mandarin is an awesome fish and very docile... never aggressive with anything (from what ive seen). But you really need a mature tank for it to survive on those copepods. The better option is to also train it on frozen brine/live brine then theres no worries :)

4. Seahorses really need a low water movement setup.... possibly your tank wouldn't be the right setup

First off how old is the tank? What lights do you have? That maxima and rbta need intense lighting.

1. Feeding less and are you using ro/di water?
2. Live rock houses most of your beneficial bacteria. When the powerheads push water through it all the harmful chemicals in the water get broken down. A canister needs to be cleaned regularly. How often do you clean it?
3. No that six line has probably wiped your tank out of pods already. Also, a tiny fuge will never be able to keep up with a mandarin.
4. Skunk cleaners are fine. You could do one or a couple. They don't eat coral or aiptasia. Peppermint shrimp are hit or miss when it comes to eating aiptasia.
5. Seahorses really need their own tank to meet all their needs. The fish you have now will definitely outcompete them. Research the ponies and then setup a tank just for them if you want them.
6. How long have you had the "orange starfish"? I'm assuming its a linckia which are not very hardy,

1. I've started feeding less, and I am using RO water

2. I clean it about once a month at the moment.

3. No mandarin :(

4. Could I house Skunk cleaners and Peppermint shrimp together?

5. No Seahorses :(

6. This is what it looks like

Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Orange Sea Star

The six line will constantly outcompete the mandarin. They're much more efficient hunters.

Aww, that's upsetting. I feel like I would be able to get enough copepods? Or am I just trying to make excuses to have a mandarin?

I'd start cleaning it once every other week. Skunks and peppermints do fine with each other. How long have you had the star?

2. I would say don't remove your filter..... That will mean you don't really have any sort of filtration setup except for your biological filter from your live rock.... which you really wouldn't want rely on.... unless you like to do a WC every 2-3days lol

3. Mandarin is an awesome fish and very docile... never aggressive with anything (from what ive seen). But you really need a mature tank for it to survive on those copepods. The better option is to also train it on frozen brine/live brine then theres no worries :)

4. Seahorses really need a low water movement setup.... possibly your tank wouldn't be the right setup

When you say I shouldn't rely on my biological filter, why do you say that?

Aww, that's upsetting. I feel like I would be able to get enough copepods? Or am I just trying to make excuses to have a mandarin?

Making excuses lol. When I had a six line he destroyed my pod population in about a week.

I'd start cleaning it once every other week. Skunks and peppermints do fine with each other. How long have you had the star?

I've had the start for about 3-4 days now, why do you ask?

Is one peppermint and one skunk acceptable?

OH WOOPS! I almost forgot! I have a balloon molly in my tank as well :p

Woah, seriously??? Why is that? Anything I could do to prevent it? Any other starfish you recommend?

They either starve or don't acclimate properly. It is not really known what they eat. People on here have seen them eat asterina stars an sponges but no one is 100% sure of their true diet.

When you say I shouldn't rely on my biological filter, why do you say that?

reason is removing the canister filter means your purely relying on the live rock to filter your water.... the canister filter is there to filter your water and you've already got it setup.... I would think its just a waste if your remove it. Plus about the whole phosphate factory.... as long as you properly clean it then theres no problem

Yeah unfortunately in a tank that size you are limited to how many pods you are going to be able to sustain. That six line alone will decimate it fast. Even without a six line and a fuge for growing pods a Mandarin not accepting prepared foods would likely clear the population. Also as mentioned the Mabdarin does best in an established tank. The starfish too might not be able to get enough to eat, hence the slowly dying mentioned. They also are intolerant of poor/changing conditions. And as asked do you have strong lighting cuz the nem & the clam require maximum light, and mature systems.

reason is removing the canister filter means your purely relying on the live rock to filter your water.... the canister filter is there to filter your water and you've already got it setup.... I would think its just a waste if your remove it. Plus about the whole phosphate factory.... as long as you properly clean it then theres no problem

But if I could sell the canister filter, I would love to just do that and then add a bunch of more live rock!

Yeah unfortunately in a tank that size you are limited to how many pods you are going to be able to sustain. That six line alone will decimate it fast. Even without a six line and a fuge for growing pods a Mandarin not accepting prepared foods would likely clear the population. Also as mentioned the Mabdarin does best in an established tank. The starfish too might not be able to get enough to eat, hence the slowly dying mentioned. They also are intolerant of poor/changing conditions. And as asked do you have strong lighting cuz the nem & the clam require maximum light, and mature systems.

Alright, no mandarin it is :(

I have 2 corallight fixtures.
One is a T5 Dual and the other is a T5HO Dual
62 watts from T5HO and 36 watts from T5

Back
Top Bottom