A couple of dumb questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmku

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought some formula 1 food for my green chromis and yellow tail damsel today. I'd like to know how exactly to feed. Thaw? Chop? How much?

I also bought a snail today. I placed him on the bottom and he went to the glass, slowly worked his way up (while eating) until he reached the top just out of the water. He's been there ever since. Is this natural or is there something wrong with him?

I also ordered live rock for on liverock.com. I ordered 10 lbs gulf rock and 5 lbs base rock. Can i place this all in the tank or will it be too overwhelming? Also is it safe to immediately place it in the tank or should it be cured first?

I know these are newbie questions but I AM a newbie

Thanks
Matt

I dont know anything about formula 1, but others should be able to help you with that.

Snails will go everywhere, including out of the water sometimes. This is natural. No worrys.

How big is your tank? If its a larger tank, you should be able to add all the rock with no problems. A smaller, like a 10gal, you might have a small spike. But a water change will fix that.

it's a 20 gal tank. I'm also a little concerned because i cycled with 2 fish and only 3 lbs of live rock. My ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and nitrates are at about 10 so i think it is completely cycled, but it occured much faster than i expected (about 3 days). The tank is now 3 weeks old.

If the Formula 1 is the frozen cubes, I would get some tankwater into a small container, chop off as much as you think the fish will eat in a few minutes, put into the tankwater and then add to the tank. Just be sure you're not overfeeding.
Snails will often travel up to the edge and sometimes out of the water. In nature they are tidal zone dwellers used to being exposed to air for periods of time.
I've heard that the liverocks.com rock is pretty well cured when sold and there is very little die off during shipping. If that is the case then it should be okay to add it all at once. But, you may want to err on the side of caution and cure it when it arrives. Smell it when it arrives, if it smells clean then it is mostly cured. If it smells like dead or dying fish, or like a dried up bay then there is some die off going on. HTH

with the fomula 1 just break off the desired amount. put it in a cup off water taken from the tank and let it thaw.then feed to fish. if you have vitamins for the fish you can put them in the cup also and allow time for them to soak in. its pretty good food though. i had a bicolor angel that went nuts for it. id also get some shrimp from the store and blend them up and put small amounts in the cup

Back
Top Bottom