Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-19-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
A couple of questions?

A film has developed at the surface and I am wondering what I can do to get rid of it. I have used paper towel to remove it and that helped but it just keeps building up.

I am wondering if a protein skimmer will help with this? I have been dragging my feet getting one. I have decided to setup a sump and I am going to place the skimmer in the sump.

Right now I am running a SEA Life Systems 125 wet dry filter on my 125. A mag drive7 is used for the return pump. I also have a fluval 404 and a magnum 350 running. I am thinking of replacing the magnum 350 with the 40 gallon sump where I can hide all of my equipment. I am also hoping that will increase my water flow. I am going to put a double over flow box down to the sump and and use a mag9 or so for the return pump.

So back to my original question, I currently have a single over flow box feeding the wet/dry filter but it doesnt seem to be removing this surface scum. Should it or do I need to be doing something else to eliminate this?

My water parameters are
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 2.5
Phosphates 0
PH 8.2

I have light algae problem but that is mostly due to me still using water softened tap water. I think my tap water contains silicates all other parameters are the same as my tank.

Thanks in advance, I have kept my new tank in relatively top shape with minimal problems and have enjoyed it tremendously. And it is due in a large part to this site.

jwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jaiden
check how your overflow is working... it should be skimming the top surface of the water

54g all-glass bowfront corner planted FW

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
A skimmer would help big time.
In the mean time you may also want to get some R/O water (maybe from you LFS if you don't want to buy one) and do some water changes.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
And I don't know anyone that doesn't get surface algae on their glass, not really a problem just a fact of the hobby.
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
If it is a FO tank, you might want to consider a UV. I am in the process of buying one after seeing how it works on a friends tank. If the skimmer doesn't get it, then perhaps the UV will get it. HTH

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com