Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2003, 12:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
A few feeding questions?!

Okay, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about every aspect of keeping fish/inverts before I move onto corals and more difficult aspects of aquariums. I have a few questions about feeding.

1) In my fish only tank now I have a couple damsels, a coral beauty angel, a blenny, a whitecheek tank, and a spotted puffer.
Ok, what I currently feed them is frozen brine shrimp in the morning soaking them in garlic guard one day and Vita chem the next. Then in the evening I feed them formula one flakes and Spectrum sinking pellets and usually clip a piece of green seaweed in there once a day. What do you guys think of this, should I be feeding them something different/better. I know brine shrimp aren't that good for them but is it good to have them eating something other than pellets/flakes. I tried feeding them squid and krill but they don't seem to eat them much? BTW the puffer doesn't eat pellets/flakes so he only eats once a day.

2) My main tank has ick so it's fishless for 4 weeks, what should I be feeding my 20 or so hermits, 4 emeralds, and 8 snails? Should I just throw in a few flakes/pellets/brine shrimp every day?

3) I just recently purchased a pink knobby cucumber and a orange starfish with little knobs all over it. Do I need to be feeding them something special or will they just eat waste/algae?

Any suggestions such as other foods/vitamins, how often I should be feeding would be great!!

Old 10-08-2003, 01:43 AM   #2
steve-s

Re: A few feeding questions?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal-188
1) In my fish only tank now I have a couple damsels, a coral beauty angel, a blenny, a whitecheek tank, and a spotted puffer.
Ok, what I currently feed them is frozen brine shrimp in the morning soaking them in garlic guard one day and Vita chem the next. Then in the evening I feed them formula one flakes and Spectrum sinking pellets and usually clip a piece of green seaweed in there once a day. What do you guys think of this, should I be feeding them something different/better. I know brine shrimp aren't that good for them but is it good to have them eating something other than pellets/flakes. I tried feeding them squid and krill but they don't seem to eat them much? BTW the puffer doesn't eat pellets/flakes so he only eats once a day.
If you purchase good brands of firtified flake and pellet foods, they can be quite good for the fish. It is pretty much all I feed my fish but I do give them a variety and alternate on a daily basis. The garlic and vita-chem are good but I would swap out the brine for mysis shrimp instead, much higher in usable protein. The only true meat eater in the tank is really the puffer so when it comes to the squid and such just try target feeding it with a feeding stick. You can also try a homemade type food like >>Reeflady's Blender Mush<<

Quote:
2) My main tank has ick so it's fishless for 4 weeks, what should I be feeding my 20 or so hermits, 4 emeralds, and 8 snails? Should I just throw in a few flakes/pellets/brine shrimp every day?
Drop in a few sinking pellets 2-3 times a week to feed the inverts. It will really depend on the age of the tank and how much natural foods are available. It won't hurt and will keep the bacterial colonies higher in the absence of a waste producing animal load.

Quote:
3) I just recently purchased a pink knobby cucumber and a orange starfish with little knobs all over it. Do I need to be feeding them something special or will they just eat waste/algae?
The starfish with knobs on it sounds like it could be a variety of Bahaman star and is carnivorous, it should not be considered reef safe. I would post a pic to be sure of the species. It will scavange as well as accept the pellet foods. The cuke is primarily a sand sifter and will get what it needs from the left over foods and detritus trapped in the sand bed as well as the macro fauna.

Quote:
Any suggestions such as other foods/vitamins, how often I should be feeding would be great!!
Other than mentioned above, I would efinately discontinue the twice daily feedings. They are really not necessary and the fish will do fine with once a day. Keep in mind that with the cuke you must be much more mindful of water quality and NO3 should be as low as possible. They will not tolerate high numbers.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com