Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
I just recently bought a refractometre . Phosban reactor and a RODI system . What's this Hannah checker everyone is talking about ? What do you test with it ?
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalo.../view/id/1182/ In systems you want to grow hard corals in, you strive to keep phosphates below .1ppm. Sweet spot for best hard coral coloration is around .05ppm. These are hard numbers to work with using a color check type test. A study was done with Acros recently where they found maximum growth occurs at about .07 - 1ppm. Coral is brown with lots of symbiotic algae. Growth slows down but color increases at lower levels. Below .05ppm you can starve the corals algae out.
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalo.../view/id/1182/ In systems you want to grow hard corals in, you strive to keep phosphates below .1ppm. Sweet spot for best hard coral coloration is around .05ppm. These are hard numbers to work with using a color check type test. A study was done with Acros recently where they found maximum growth occurs at about .07 - 1ppm. Coral is brown with lots of symbiotic algae. Growth slows down but color increases at lower levels. Below .05ppm you can starve the corals algae out.
I have 0 testable phosphates.
But I know I have some cause of the red algae ,
Cyano
Apparently from what I have read it is absorbed into the rocks and sand and leaches out over time creating algae blooms but can't e detected or tested positive .
Is this just cause of the testing equipment ?
__________________

__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
I have 0 testable phosphates. But I know I have some cause of the red algae , Cyano Apparently from what I have read it is absorbed into the rocks and sand and leaches out over time creating algae blooms but can't e detected or tested positive . Is this just cause of the testing equipment ?
zero might not be zero. As I mentioned it is really hard to see those smaller readings with a color check test kit. Something is generating the Cyano and phosphate can be one of the causes.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
zero might not be zero. As I mentioned it is really hard to see those smaller readings with a color check test kit. Something is generating the Cyano and phosphate can be one of the causes.
I just bought a RODI system ,
And did a huge 50% water change to see how much of a difference the RO water makes .
I'm thinking the Phos was coming in with the water I was using .
I did test nitrates in the water I was using a couple months ago .
The water tested at 10ppm before it even entered the tank .
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 96
I just got my Hanna test kit and really like it. only thing i don't care for is getting the powdered reagent out of the little packet. Wish they would come with a liquid or other way to do the powder. I happened to get them when BRS had them on sale for 36.99 i think i paid.
__________________
js198027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by js198027 View Post
I just got my Hanna test kit and really like it. only thing i don't care for is getting the powdered reagent out of the little packet. Wish they would come with a liquid or other way to do the powder. I happened to get them when BRS had them on sale for 36.99 i think i paid.
Wow they are cheap .
I'll look for one .
What else do they test ? Just phosphate ?
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
Wow they are cheap .
I'll look for one .
What else do they test ? Just phosphate ?

That was black friday pricing I think they are 49.99 regular pricing. It only tests Phosphates. I also bought one that tests Alkalinity. They also make a Calcium test which I did not purchase. but I picked up a refractometer for 24.99 they had some awesome sales going on.
__________________
js198027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by js198027 View Post
That was black friday pricing I think they are 49.99 regular pricing. It only tests Phosphates. I also bought one that tests Alkalinity. They also make a Calcium test which I did not purchase. but I picked up a refractometer for 24.99 they had some awesome sales going on.
I bought a refractometre off eBay ,
Shipped from China .
$21
__________________

__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, phosphate, test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.