Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #21
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
I bet ORA has a way to prove that all their coral/fish are captive and not wild. I mean obviously the orignals were but they've been cultivating for years now. I bet they'd agree to a 10% release of all their non blended fish back into the wild. They should probably leave the morphs in tanks but some true clowns could go back into the wild...
Interesting thing about some of the morphs though...is that there are a handful that have actually been discovered in the wild. I read an article months ago about someone seeing some clown morph on a dive that they had taken a picture of...
Just last week I was in a discussion regarding an odd coloration of coral beauty. Though the morphs in clowns, color varies greatly in them depending on location and other such things, to the point where there are almost entirely yellow coral beauties!
That said, I'd think that we could release them even though I don't think I'd want to release a 300 dollar fish...

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I'm for making it illegal to take another living thing from the ocean. Whatever we have here now, is enough. If it's not, then we are doing it wrong.

For corals, I absolutely agree. Fish would be the end of 99% of the FOWLR side of the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
We can raise trout by the millions, but not SW hobby fish. That seems just wrong. In the freshwater industry in the 70's most fish were flown in from outside the U.S. But then fish farms and private hatcheries started providing live bearers and especially cichlids, like angelfish. I ran a small facility that supplied several dozen fish stores. I can only hope there are some breeding and hatching success's in SW. One thing for certain is the price of fish will sky rocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, hard coral, hob, rot, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com