A little advice if you have a min :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches

Here is one site for example! Sorry for causing a bunch of problems on here I am not allowing my fish to suffer and i have full intentions on removing my fish if the levels are so high they are gonna die. Thank you to those who were polite and didn't judge without asking questions. I will look for a different forum
i don't think anyone was being rude, but sorry if you felt that way.
there are plenty of inconsistencies on the internet. many old ways of doing things have since been corrected, but then some are still out there for everyone to read.

Yes I have found a lot of inconsistencies and honestly if I knew it was going to harm my fish then I would have just let the water sit in the aquarium. I am not sure if the live rock was fully cured or not it has a lot of white and green on it. I have been cleaning them with a toothbrush and am now getting red algae? I barely have an ammonia read and no nitrite or nitrate reading so I don't know why it's taking so long it's been a week. As for the fish they are good and healthy just noticed one of the mollies are pregnant :( I have a tank on stand by worn pre made salt water ready to go. Should I still be testing the water for ammonia nitrate and nitrite everyday? When Do I stop? Should I not change any water till the cycle ends? There are many different opinions I'm just wondering what has worked for your successful tanks?

Thank you for posting replys sorry for feeling offended I just wasn't sure exactly how to ask and jumped in with both feet without properly explaining the situation. I will definetly keep everyone posted I have both fingers and toes crossed this works :)

i would remove the fish and then continue the cycle with some decaying matter, like a piece of raw fish or shrimp. the cycle will last a couple weeks to a month. when you see no visible ammonia or nitrite, you can slowly start to add livestock. the reason you add it slowly is so that the bacteria colony you just grew with the cycle will need to adjust and grow with each new fish.

I'm not sure if my rock is cured! I'm presuming because it doesn't smell and there is no ammonia it is?

Perfect thanks :) I will be back when my babies are swimming freely! Oh and we were thinking 1 flame angel 1 coral beauty 1 bicolor angel and 2 fire shrimps! Is this to much of a workload for my tank? Will I need a protein skimmer?

Currently I have
•55 gallon
•350 biowheel with 2 filters each side
•Stealth pro shatter proof 200 watt heater
•Fusion air pump 500 with air bar
•koralia turbo pump level 3 (3200 L/H or 850 GPH)
•13lbs live rock
•crushed corral bedding
•3 mono
•3 mollies

Am I missing anything?

i wont buy the air pump....u dont need that....
if u plan to have FOWLR, not necessary to have skimmer...
and i would suggest u to have more live rock instead of 13lbs...
just my 2cents...

i wouldn't put 2 angels in a 55. i think you will be a lot better off with a protein skimmer than without one.

Oh ok! I don't know why we weren't told that lol. So I won't need a skimmer?

Are there any other fish then that can go in with an angel and coral beauty?

i think you will need a skimmer. this is eventually going to be a reef tank correct? you will want the cleanest water possible.
a coral beauty is an angel. angels are hit or miss as far as being reef safe. just be aware of that before you decide. a coral beauty might be a model citizen, or it might nip at your corals and be quite territorial. hard to say until you get one. i wouldn't get 2 though. pick between the bi color and the coral beauty.
a fairy wrasse is a nice fish for a 55. check out the fairy wrasses.

No this will be a FOWLR only. Maybe if we are successful and maintain a good tank for over a year then we might start a separate tank with corals. I like live rock but to buy 55lbs is a lot. I a skimmer will help so I can slowly build my live rock collection that would be good.

a skimmer helps to keep the tank water clean. it's up to you if you think you need it or not. i like them personally.
FOWLR is "fish only with live rock". you still need the rock, with or without corals.
i would suggest getting the rock before the livestock. you don't want to create mini cycles adding pieces here and there.

I am looking at a skimmer right now and need some advice. The prizm deluxe or the coral life skimmer?

I've only been at this obsession for 2 years.... But one very important thing to remember is .....it never pays to try and rush the nasty cycle. Instant gratification is very expensive in the long run and causes a lot of frustration. Be patient. Keep testing your water perameters (adding good bacteria doest hurt but it wasnt a magic fix for the cycle) and do your 10% water change weekly!!! I know its hard to wait....and drooling over the goodies at the fish store is sooo fun. But i personally know the disappointment of loosing live stock because I just couldnt wait anymore (in which case I only had it for a few short days and then had the expense of replacing it later when my tank was ready). If you're lucky your tank will cycle in 2-4 weeks....but remember to add fish slowly. If you dump a buch in at once... Your good bacteria wont be able to keep up and you cause your tank to spike and sorta cycle again.

Good luck!!

It has been over 3 weeks now and still no big ammonia spike ? The ammonia went up a little bit after adding more LR in betwen 0.25-0.5 But It is now fine again I am using API tests are these ok? It shows nitrate and nitrite at 0 but this is impossible because I have had fish in my tank and all are fine and dandy. I have been adding bacteria everyday from a bottle not sure if that makes a difference. How do I know if the tank is cycled? Should I just not do a water change for 2 weeks or so? Right now I am changing 5 gal every 3-4 days to keep up with the nutrient levels.

Back
Top Bottom