Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #31
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh ok! I don't know why we weren't told that lol. So I won't need a skimmer?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #32
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are there any other fish then that can go in with an angel and coral beauty?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i think you will need a skimmer. this is eventually going to be a reef tank correct? you will want the cleanest water possible.
a coral beauty is an angel. angels are hit or miss as far as being reef safe. just be aware of that before you decide. a coral beauty might be a model citizen, or it might nip at your corals and be quite territorial. hard to say until you get one. i wouldn't get 2 though. pick between the bi color and the coral beauty.
a fairy wrasse is a nice fish for a 55. check out the fairy wrasses.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #34
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

No this will be a FOWLR only. Maybe if we are successful and maintain a good tank for over a year then we might start a separate tank with corals. I like live rock but to buy 55lbs is a lot. I a skimmer will help so I can slowly build my live rock collection that would be good.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

a skimmer helps to keep the tank water clean. it's up to you if you think you need it or not. i like them personally.
FOWLR is "fish only with live rock". you still need the rock, with or without corals.
i would suggest getting the rock before the livestock. you don't want to create mini cycles adding pieces here and there.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #36
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea we have some rock only 13 lbs though.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #37
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am looking at a skimmer right now and need some advice. The prizm deluxe or the coral life skimmer?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

prizm and coralife are not worth your time. google "octopus protein skimmer".
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've only been at this obsession for 2 years.... But one very important thing to remember is .....it never pays to try and rush the nasty cycle. Instant gratification is very expensive in the long run and causes a lot of frustration. Be patient. Keep testing your water perameters (adding good bacteria doest hurt but it wasnt a magic fix for the cycle) and do your 10% water change weekly!!! I know its hard to wait....and drooling over the goodies at the fish store is sooo fun. But i personally know the disappointment of loosing live stock because I just couldnt wait anymore (in which case I only had it for a few short days and then had the expense of replacing it later when my tank was ready). If you're lucky your tank will cycle in 2-4 weeks....but remember to add fish slowly. If you dump a buch in at once... Your good bacteria wont be able to keep up and you cause your tank to spike and sorta cycle again.

Good luck!!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #40
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

It has been over 3 weeks now and still no big ammonia spike ? The ammonia went up a little bit after adding more LR in betwen 0.25-0.5 But It is now fine again I am using API tests are these ok? It shows nitrate and nitrite at 0 but this is impossible because I have had fish in my tank and all are fine and dandy. I have been adding bacteria everyday from a bottle not sure if that makes a difference. How do I know if the tank is cycled? Should I just not do a water change for 2 weeks or so? Right now I am changing 5 gal every 3-4 days to keep up with the nutrient levels.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com