Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

Smile A little advice if you have a min :)

Hi all currently I am attempting to run a 55g FOWLR. The tank is up
And running with live rock and a couple mollies. My temp is 79 ph is 8.0 nitrate/nitrite and ammonia are 0 my questions are about maintaining salinity? Currently it is between 1.020 and 1.021 so if it drops how do I get it back up
Without putting to much? Can I use dechlorinated tap water? Or do I need an osmosis machine? I dont really have room for an osmosis machine and I have tested my tapwate which had no nitrate/nitrites. Any advice is greatly appreciated anything you found that helped would be great thanks

Old 01-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Sliced Bread

Welcome to AA!

Maintaining your salinity can be done a variety of ways. A simple way to do it is to use an automatic top off system that will replenish the evaporated water for you. Or, you can just add fresh water each day to replace the evaporated water. As water evaporates, salt doesn't so your salinity goes up until you replenish the water. If you're running a sump, it's really easy. Put a piece of tape on the outside wall of the sump tank to mark the water level, then just refill to that point each day.

It is possible to be successful using dechlorinated tap water, but the risk of algae and other issues is much higher. It's highly recommended to use RO/DI water if possible.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you. I got some RO/DI water now and will add some. If my salinity level is 1.020 should I wait for it to show signs of getting higher before adding just water?
Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also added 3 mono's(sp) today. How do I know when my tank has started to cycle?
Old 01-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

hye there..welcome to AA...
can i know when u add those mollies..??? u asking when to know your tank is cycle...is that mean u dont cycle your tank before add the live stock..???
Old 01-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thats correct. I added the mollys yesterday and the mono's today. The tank has only been up a couple of days but we jump started with the nitrifying bacteria and live rock.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

owh....i would suggest u return back those live stock to the LFS until your tank is fully cycle...have some read on how to start tank cycle article here in article section....dont waste your money by end up killing them...
do u have your own test kits..??? if not, that is the important part to start this hobby..go and get the test kits for u....
Old 01-15-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes I have the test kits I have been testing everyday and checking my salinity twice a day. My LFS said these guys would be ok to jump start my cycle.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Although cycling has been done with fish in the past. fishless cycles have been found to be the humane way of cycling a tank.

when you add fish to an uncycled tank, the parameters of the water fluxuate and stress out the fish. this is a very tramatic experience for the fish and is the main cause for new/unexperienced owners to be upset wondering why their fish died.

most local fish stores will tell you anything to make a sale. although some might know and just sell you the hardiest of fish. this doesnt mean it is at all good for the fish.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #10
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes we got a few of the hardy fish and some live nitrifying bacteria to jump start it. Is there anything else I can soto speed the process for my fish?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com