A little advice if you have a min :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlc

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all currently I am attempting to run a 55g FOWLR. The tank is up
And running with live rock and a couple mollies. My temp is 79 ph is 8.0 nitrate/nitrite and ammonia are 0 my questions are about maintaining salinity? Currently it is between 1.020 and 1.021 so if it drops how do I get it back up
Without putting to much? Can I use dechlorinated tap water? Or do I need an osmosis machine? I dont really have room for an osmosis machine and I have tested my tapwate which had no nitrate/nitrites. Any advice is greatly appreciated anything you found that helped would be great thanks :)

Welcome to AA!

Maintaining your salinity can be done a variety of ways. A simple way to do it is to use an automatic top off system that will replenish the evaporated water for you. Or, you can just add fresh water each day to replace the evaporated water. As water evaporates, salt doesn't so your salinity goes up until you replenish the water. If you're running a sump, it's really easy. Put a piece of tape on the outside wall of the sump tank to mark the water level, then just refill to that point each day.

It is possible to be successful using dechlorinated tap water, but the risk of algae and other issues is much higher. It's highly recommended to use RO/DI water if possible.

Thank you. I got some RO/DI water now and will add some. If my salinity level is 1.020 should I wait for it to show signs of getting higher before adding just water?

I also added 3 mono's(sp) today. How do I know when my tank has started to cycle?

hye there..welcome to AA...
can i know when u add those mollies..??? u asking when to know your tank is cycle...is that mean u dont cycle your tank before add the live stock..???

Thats correct. I added the mollys yesterday and the mono's today. The tank has only been up a couple of days but we jump started with the nitrifying bacteria and live rock.

owh....i would suggest u return back those live stock to the LFS until your tank is fully cycle...have some read on how to start tank cycle article here in article section....dont waste your money by end up killing them...
do u have your own test kits..??? if not, that is the important part to start this hobby..go and get the test kits for u....

Yes I have the test kits I have been testing everyday and checking my salinity twice a day. My LFS said these guys would be ok to jump start my cycle.

Although cycling has been done with fish in the past. fishless cycles have been found to be the humane way of cycling a tank.

when you add fish to an uncycled tank, the parameters of the water fluxuate and stress out the fish. this is a very tramatic experience for the fish and is the main cause for new/unexperienced owners to be upset wondering why their fish died.

most local fish stores will tell you anything to make a sale. although some might know and just sell you the hardiest of fish. this doesnt mean it is at all good for the fish.

Yes we got a few of the hardy fish and some live nitrifying bacteria to jump start it. Is there anything else I can soto speed the process for my fish?

I cant take my fishes out so we gotta ride this together. Why levels should ammonia and nitrate hit before I do a small wc?

i hope u understand this...nothing come fast in this hobby....patience is the key for success...
in our aquarium, we need those process to have the good bacteria...when ammonia spike, there will be nitrites bacteria to handle ammonia then come nitrates then etc....hope u read all about this....fish can tolerate with nitrates but not nitrite and ammonia....and this cycle will keep on going til its reach its equilibrium stage where we dont know when....u can keep the fish but u will make it suffer....im stil suggest that u return back that fish to LFS and ask them to keep it for u....pls do your research before do anything....whatever it is, its stil up to u...im just willing to help u and your fish...

Yes I understand that I have read a lot actually about saltwater aquariums and it's VERY common to jump start an aquarium with hardy fish! I have 6 small fish in a 55g aquarium whereas the recommendation is 1 fish per 5 gallons to jump start. This will allow for my bacteria levels to slowly rise and my fish adjust so they won't be shocked and die. The only thing that I can do now is catch the cycle.

Tlc said:
Yes I understand that I have read a lot actually about saltwater aquariums and it's VERY common to jump start an aquarium with hardy fish!

Just wondering what you mean by "jump start", are you simply meaning starting the cycle or are you trying to accelerate the cycle? Seeing how you already started with fish, I wish you the best of luck.

you aren't jump starting anything...you are simply starting the cycle, while you torture and possibly kill the fish.
the information you were given is not accurate. the 1 fish per 5 gallons rule is a ridiculous idea, because know one knows how much rock, fish, food,....is in each tank. it's impossible to gauge anything with guesses.

i believe even if the information about 1 fish per 5 gallon is correct, its must talk about after cycle process...after cycle process, u need to add fish slowly so that your bacteria levels also rise slowly...all i can say, best of luck..

http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php

Here is one site for example! Sorry for causing a bunch of problems on here I am not allowing my fish to suffer and i have full intentions on removing my fish if the levels are so high they are gonna die. Thank you to those who were polite and didn't judge without asking questions. I will look for a different forum

hye Tlc..no hard feeling..we just want to help...
anyway, the link that u post was for cycling FW which i think different/easier than SW...

was your live rock fully cured? do a little research cycle a if new aquarium. this process take aprox. 6 to 8 wks.

keep us posted, good luck

Fishman

Back
Top Bottom