Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2008, 03:22 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ok thanks i will give it a shot and let ya know.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Mike on the black out and cutting back the lighting. I also think doing several PWCs will help reduce the excess nutrients in your system.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #23

Ok well this is pretty much day 3 of the blackout, i did turn my lights on for about 2 hours yesterday just so i could siphon out all the algae again, but it has definetly slowed down in growth but it is still growing. Right now it looks like 1 to 2 inch dark green hairs all over. It is not covering the bottom but the hairs are all over the bottom. they where not there last night when i turned the lights off so they had to grow overnight. I am starting to wonder with the more and more pictures i look at if it is not a bigger problem than i thought? I have not had any lights on at night, and it still seems to grow, just slower.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

When was the last time you cleaned out your canister filter?

Is this green hair algae or the same stuff from your original post? If it is the same stuff from before having the lights off isn't going to do a lot to stop the growth. It feeds off the excess nutrients in the water column and will grow in the dark. As I said before I think doing multiple PWCs will help reduce the nutrients and thus reduce the amount of algae.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #25

I just cleaned it about 5 days ago. The only thing i have not been able to do if replace the carbon pac in my filter because no one has it I am going to have to order them online i guess. And just to make sure i am doing the PWC right, you need to mix up the water the day before and let it sit overnight before adding it right? I have to be honest i don't have a hood on my aquarium cause i can't find one that will fit with my compact light. But anyways with it open i lose about 2 quarts of water a day or so, so i have not been doing PWC's since i am adding so much water on such a regular basis. Is this bad or is it kind of the same thing as PWC?

P.S. As far as the algae goes it is kind of the same i guess, if i was to let it go it would spread and put like a blanket over everything that would then turn brown. Like it was in the pictures.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You really don't need to run the carbon. Take a look at purigen, it is rechargeable and helps out a lot more. Are you rinsing your sponges (from your filter) out in your old SW?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
You really don't need to run the carbon. Take a look at purigen, it is rechargeable and helps out a lot more. Are you rinsing your sponges (from your filter) out in your old SW?

No i just been rinsing them out in the sink, am i supposed to rinse with old SW?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Adding top off water is not the same as doing a PWC. You should be topping off with fresh water. Doing a PWC will replenish the trace elements that are found in the salt mix. I top off around 3g of water a day in my system and I still do 15-20% water change every other week.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowles View Post
No i just been rinsing them out in the sink, am i supposed to rinse with old SW?
I used to rinse mine out in my old SW, but ended up taking them out altogether. If you chose to remove them, make sure you have enough rock and sand to host your bio-filter.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com