A Little Help Anyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amkelly

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,

let me give a little background on me and my fish tank before we start this. i currently have a 65 gallon tank set up with a 20 gallon sump and it has been running for 2 1/2 years.
the inhabitants are two black clowns, sixline wrasse, hippo tang, bicolor blenny, blue damsel and a chromis. Anemone, brain coral and other various inverts.
there is a 250 watt metal halide over the tank. with that said i am considering upgrading to a much bigger tank, somewhere around 300 gallons.
the only problem is i have a few standards that i want to meet. it has to be a rimless cube and i want it to be a shallow reef so probably 18 inches high.
is anyone good with dimensions and figuring out how long and wide this tank would be?
thank you for your help and time it is greatly appreciated. also is there a website that customizes tanks ive looked at various ones like envision acrylics and elos. are there any others?

Hey everyone,

let me give a little background on me and my fish tank before we start this. i currently have a 65 gallon tank set up with a 20 gallon sump and it has been running for 2 1/2 years.
the inhabitants are two black clowns, sixline wrasse, hippo tang, bicolor blenny, blue damsel and a chromis. Anemone, brain coral and other various inverts.
there is a 250 watt metal halide over the tank. with that said i am considering upgrading to a much bigger tank, somewhere around 300 gallons.
the only problem is i have a few standards that i want to meet. it has to be a rimless cube and i want it to be a shallow reef so probably 18 inches high.
is anyone good with dimensions and figuring out how long and wide this tank would be?
thank you for your help and time it is greatly appreciated. also is there a website that customizes tanks ive looked at various ones like envision acrylics and elos. are there any others?

To figure out total gallons take LxWxH and then divide it by 231. So for you it would be 18 for Height and then maybe 55 width and 72 lenght.
That would put you at about 308 gallons. 72x55x18=71280/231= 308gal. Those are the demensions I would go with if I wanted only 18" deep. It would be a 6-foot tank with lots of depth to work with. I'd like to see what that would cost in a rimless.

yeah me too, i wonder if its even possible with those dimensions. i know ive seen tanks that are large and rimless, now i just have to find a website and business that is willing to do something like this. thank you very much for the information though it is greatly appreciated.

Probably for light penetration?
Rimless might be kind of a pain. Water splashing, water movement and PWCs, might make for a mess.

i decided shallow because i have a deep tank now and its a pain to reach in and get things that may fall or drop. also fish swim horizontally so i want it to be shallow so it will be longer and wider. i like the look of shallow tanks as well, so hopefully it will work out. have you seen pictures of a shallow reef? i think it looks great but obviously everyone has their own opinion.

thank you for posting the website for custom tanks.. ive been doing a lot of research on skimmers and such so hopefully i will get my list going soon on what i need to make this run correctly without skimping out on anything. i have a list of fish if you guys/girls would like to look it over and tell me what you think.

Bartlett's Anthias- 1 Male 5 Females
Royal Gramma x 3
Banggai Cardinals-Pair
Chromis- Group of 5
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse- Pair
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse- Pair
Bicolor Blenny
Atlantic Blue Tang
Sargassum Trigger- Pair
Clownfish- Pair

definitely covered, looking into an external overflow to keep the room in the tank, i have an internal on my 65 it just seems to get in the way

Back
Top Bottom