Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2004, 05:07 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

A Little Help - Mag Drive Pump Broken

Well, my Mag Drive 9.5 Impeller broke in half last night (you want to talk about waking the dead, I almost hit the ceiling fan in our vaulted ceiling). I closed the supply and return valves to my sump and moved a heater into the main tank (they were both in the sump). Danner Pondmaster is sending me a replacement impeller (good people btw). Will my tank be okay without the skimmer for a few days since it is in the sump? The only live stock are some hermits, snails, crabs and two new addition peppermint shrimp who are happily munching on aptasia.

TIA peoples.

Old 01-13-2004, 05:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I wouldn't worry about going skimmerless for a few days, there are enough people on here that don't even run skimmers. Your bio-load is pretty small also so I don't see it being a problem. I'd just make sure you have enough surface aggitation for O2 exchange since water won't be running through the sump.

How did the impeller break, I have the same pump?

Old 01-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know, I took it apart and there wasn't anything in there, and it wasn't the propeller, but the shaft that the magnet sits on. I guess it was just faulty. I am going to add another 1200 pump tonight (was not that with it at 1am) and I'll angle it a little more upward to increase surface agitation.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:59 PM   #4
cj10488

Quote:
Will my tank be okay without the skimmer for a few days since it is in the sump?
Yes your tank will be fine..
Quote:
The only live stock are some hermits, snails, crabs and two new addition peppermint shrimp who are happily munching on aptasia.
These will not be affected for the short term of having your skimmer turned off... When I started my tank was skimmerless for about the first 2 months.. My levels all stayed good with the nitrates being at 5ppm with the skimmer it eventually got the nitrates down to 0ppm... Sorry about the mag drive.. Just keep the temp stable and good movement in the tank and everyhting should be fine..

HTH<
James

Tags
pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com