A poll for my own curiosity ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JG

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After combating a cyano problem in one tank but not the other - all parameter are equal except substrate..... I have a question.

How many of you who have had cyano problems have used a live sand or live crushed coral substrate and how many of you have used a dry substrate?

JG

In the 150g tank, CC, Dry Sand, and the top layer is live sand. It had a big problem with cyano until he cut down on lighting, and added a protien skimmer. Now the bottom sand is a light purple that matches the liverock -- looks good not disgusting.

I used dry sand with live rock and had a HUGE problem with it some years back when I set up my 1st sw tank, but I think mine was over lighting (too many hours 12-14)and over feeding... dang those clown fish always acting like they are hungry... made a southern woman over feed the whole tank! ;)

Kimberly

When your sand turns purple, and it almost looks like you have purple grass when it gets out of control! If you try and disturb it, it disentigrates into mist mucking up the entire tank.... do a search for it with the link up top, and you'll find plenty of resources regarding it.

I used carib sea aragamax sand only.
My cyano cleared up when I switched to a CPR skimmer. Its never come back.

I had a tank with dolomite substrate (it was the best new stuff in the late 80's) It looked like fw rock but white and kept the pH up. until I ditched the ugf, upgraded the skimmer, used a ro/di and switched to sand I had a problem

Back
Top Bottom