A Possible Downgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
So.. i've been thinking lately about downgrading my tank to accommodate my main rock structure. It holds all of my coral and is put together nicely and i think it looks awesome. Once corals grow out on it i think it would look stunning.

Anyways, how should i go about doing this? I want to get a smaller cube, but a shallow one. I like the rimless look too, so i think i'm going to go the same route. A shallow rimless cube. Man i'm so boring.. Thing is, i don't really want a huge tank, and i'm just going to be filling it up with tons of rare zoas, and a couple monti caps. And my one chalice piece of course.. but that's it.

So for starters, i was thinking of trading my 150w MH for a 70w MH. I don't know if i want to hang it on my ceiling again though because my dad would have a fit with me drilling more holes. So maybe a clamp on would be sufficient, or i could just build something to hold it up and be able to adjust the height in case the tank is too shallow, and the light it too strong. What do you guys think about that one? Maybe there are nice T5 fixtures i could trade for? Idk.. but i like the MH's. They're nice, and the shimmer effect is a plus.

Another question was.. i still have a fuge attached to my 25G right now.. so would it be possible for me to switch it to this next tank without any die off? First, i would cycle the tank by itself, you know, cover up the overflow and what not until the cycle is done, and then i would just swap out the 10G test sump for my running fuge. Make sense? Is this possible? The benefits of having a fuge are just too great to get rid of it. Right now i'm running 0 phosphates and 0 nitrates and my corals couldn't be happier.. honestly.

Stand would be DIY of course, unless i could find a cheap stand that has the dimensions i'm looking for. I think the bulk of the expenses would go to the new tank, and probably the drilling of the tank because i have to buy new hole saws since my dad used up my old ones.. -_- However, i was thinking of trying something different this time around, maybe something like a corner overflow.. Any suggestions?

Alright.. those are my thoughts for now, so everyone, please, chime in. ;)

Not trying to sound rude or anything, but why would you want to downgrade ?? You have a 25g now, and if I recall you were pretty pumped up about that. IMO, i'd keep the 25, because you never know. In a year or so you might be wanting a bigger tank and wish you would've kept the tank you have now.

Plust with your 150w MH, if you ever want some LPS and SPS, you'll have all the lighting you need.

How deep is the 25 you have now ??

If you are going to change, just change the tank and put it in the same spot. The extra light isn't going to hurt it so long as you account for the extra heat and dissipate it accordingly. Shallow tanks are sweet, but I would just stick with what you have for now, let it grow. Believe me I know how hard it is to just keep your hands out and watch. :p

Yea, I was going to ask why you want to downgrade? Im saving up to I can UPGRADE my 20g to the tank you have. I have the Mr Aqua 7.5g cube too. Really nice!

Matt

Back
Top Bottom