Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2004, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

a question on dsb's

I have spent a while trying to search and read what everyone has been posting but I am left with questions that i could not really find the answer to. So if these have been asked before and i missed em sorry

I currently have a large layer of crushed coral on the bottom of my tank. I want to switch it over to a sand bed for NNR. From what i have been reading there are two thoughts...

1) a deep sand bed with fine sugar size sand, from 4 to 8 inches deep. Do or should i use a plenum with this option?

2) A 4 inch layer of a bit larger grain "reef sand" with a plenum underneath.

Option 2 is what my LFS says to do, and option 1 is what I have been reading here. Any thoughts on the two ways to go? I like the fine sand look as my preference.

If I do go with the fine sand is it possible to add it to my tank that has been running for about 8 years, half at a time so i can leave my LR and fish in the tank will i do this?

Also what kind and how many critters do i get to inhabit the sand bed?

All of this change is for looks and to get NNR going, I currently have CC and want a change. Sorry bout all these questions but if anyonw can help that would be awsome.

Dave

40gal plexi aquarium, 2x96w PC's, Fluval 404 filter, Remora Pro Protein skimmer, 2xMaxiJet 600 PH, 30lbs LR, 140lbs Live Sand <Aragonite>, 1 Sailfin Tang, 2 Percula Clowns, 2 Neon Gobies, colony of green striped mushrooms.

Cleaners: 1 blue-legged Hermit, 5 assorted small crabs, 6 nassarius snails, 2 bumblebee snails and 5 Trochus snails.
Dvoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is a good read on DSB
http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would go with option 1. A plenum I heard does work but is more work to setup and doesn't look as nice. 4" of sugar fine aragonite will be fine. You will need to replenish up to an inch a year as it will dissolve and benefit your tank. You can seed your sandbed with a few cups of LS to give you some micro critters. Stay away from any sand sifters that could decimate the micros for at least a year. The hardest part is going to be removing the cc and adding the sand. It will be a long day. Good Luck.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 11:27 PM   #4

If your tank is 8 years old i would leave it be. The DSB is not a good option; many have had problems with it myself included. My 5 year old DSB crashed one day and in 3 days my tank was gone.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

i'd go with the plenum, it seems to be the safe way to go(less chance of wastes building up or crahsing, but less surface area ), and works good for me, both have 1.5 in. fine sand on top of 1.5 in. crushed coral, but unless you are going to upgrade your biomass i would have to agree with captive reef's thinking.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivereefs
If your tank is 8 years old i would leave it be. The DSB is not a good option; many have had problems with it myself included. My 5 year old DSB crashed one day and in 3 days my tank was gone.
Darin,
It would helpful for folks to hear why you think a DSB is a bad idea. Do you know why yours crashed?
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:07 AM   #7

Thanks for the opinions, i really appreciate it. I know when i said that my tank has been running for 8 years i wouldnt want to touch it, but one of the reasons for me making this change from CC to a dsb is because my tank is suffering from old tank syndrome. I have sky high nitrates and water changes dont affect it at all so i need to clean the substrate out anyway.

Im not looking forward to doing it but hopefully i can benefit from the dsb's nnr properties.

Dave

40gal plexi aquarium, 2x96w PC's, Fluval 404 filter, Remora Pro Protein skimmer, 2xMaxiJet 600 PH, 30lbs LR, 140lbs Live Sand <Aragonite>, 1 Sailfin Tang, 2 Percula Clowns, 2 Neon Gobies, colony of green striped mushrooms.

Cleaners: 1 blue-legged Hermit, 5 assorted small crabs, 6 nassarius snails, 2 bumblebee snails and 5 Trochus snails.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvoros
Im not looking forward to doing it but hopefully i can benefit from the dsb's nnr properties.

Dave
It took my DSB about 3 months before I began to see the benefits. Nitrate is now 0 8). You can actually see the NNR happening as you will occassionally see air bubbles released from the sand.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:43 AM   #9

I had a blenny dig down about 3" into my DSB. The fish died followed by the tank crash. I just think there is bead stuff down there. On my latest tank i went with a 1" sandbed and so far ewverything is fine. I di use the natures ocean live sand because of its larger grit size over southdown. Southdown just blew around to much limiting my flow capabilities which i think is a factor in the crash.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phases99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvoros

Dave
It took my DSB about 3 months before I began to see the benefits. Nitrate is now 0 8). You can actually see the NNR happening as you will occassionally see air bubbles released from the sand.

Hehe that is so cool, i am thinking about doing this next weekend If i decide to do it hehe.

Dave

Tags
dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com