a quick question about clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stryder

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone know if a clownfish can change from a female BACK into a male? I know they do the reverse of this but nothing I've read has said this.

Thanks in advance!!

Just to add... I purchases 2 clowns and was told they were a pair. One is a slight bit larger than the other and it has been beating the @#%& out of the other one :evil: since I got them home. They are both in my Qtank so I could easily separate (and return one) hmmm or will they sort themselves out?

hmm

Stryder, one thing you might try is taking them both out of the tank for a bit and putting them in the QT. Then, change the interior of the tank around if you have dead corals and the like, a good time to clean. One may be more established and/or protecting its territory. The change would mean reestablishing themselves and might just do the trick.

Good luck.

I dont think they can change back to male after they become female.....not sure but i dont think so

What species are they?

Even if purchased as a mated pair, clowns can sometimes squable when placed in a new tank and must re-aquaint themselves again. Just be sure there are plaenty of places in the tank where the clowns are able to hide and get away from each other if neccessary. A few short pices of PVC should do it.

possum said:
I dont think they can change back to male after they become female.....not sure but i dont think so
(y)

Cheers
Steve

They sure are squabbling!! it's more like one (the bigger, presumably the female) is kicking the junk out of the other. I am adding more hiding spots right now! Thanks all!!

Sorry, they are clarkii. Tank raised and about 2 1/2-3 inches in length! Beautiful fish. What type of an anenome would they like to be home in ??

Clarkii's are a little more aggressive as far as clowns go, so it may take time. Adding the extra "foxholes" will help but be sure to keep tabs on the smaller one for signs of abrassions. With the size and behavour of the larger clown I can be pretty sure it's a "she".

stryder said:
What type of an anenome would they like to be home in ??
How about a little more info on the set up of the tank and age? Clowns do not need an anemone nor does the anemone need the clowns. They will both be quite happy without each other. A mated pair of clowns will choose just about any surrogate in the tank once they're settled.

Cheers
Steve

How about a little more info on the set up of the tank and age?

It's an 8 month old 130g with a good amount of live rock (110lbs) and a small amount of corals.
Fish are a young pair of Cardinals (banggai), a yellow headed goby, 2 green chromis (I'm going to add a few more). I've also got a couple of cleaner shrimp, and a bunch of zebra hermits.

I would like to add about 2 more fish (besides the chromis). Any advice? and some more corals.
I would like an anemone that the clowns would frolick in too. (my wife loves to watch them)

Thanks!

How about the light set up and water parameters?

You must be very careful if considering an anemone. They are not as easy to care for and require very high water quality and intense lighting.

As far as fish are concerned, you still have a fair amount of room. What strikes your interest?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom