a rant, please choose you lfs carefully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just had a bad experience with a lfs and with a little info from an employee, I now know why. Question is, what to do about it (other that not use them anymore). I don't want to get him fired.
I recently bought 2 heni butterfly fish, they were to be the 2 final fish for my system. I put them in qt and the first died 24 hours after I purchased him, they replaced him. The replacement died 3 days later. It developed a bacterial or fungal infection, was never positive. The other hung on for a couple weeks, but just died today from starvation. (he was eating like a pig when I got him). Now mind you all these fish looked healthy and were eating when I brought them home, except the first. He had an abrasion, I thought I could clear it up.
I have at this store befriended one of the saltwater employee and he told me off the record management expects that 50% of the fish from this supplier will die, yet they keep putting them up for sale. Most of these fish come from the PI where they use cyanide and the fish suffer from cyanide poisoning. I believe that is what the first and the last fish died from. Very cruel to the animals, and horrible for our hobby
Now I would love to take the owner to task over this, but do not want my friend to get fired. I cannot post the name of the lfs because of this, but if you are in the area and would like to know, please email me and I will tell you who. Lets just say they have several stores in the area, may be a chain store.
The lesson is, ask as many question of your lfs as you can think of. Have them show you the log of the incoming and outgoing fish. This should tell you where they came from and how long they have been there. Make sure they are eating (I did that). Put down a refundable deposit and
come back in a few days to see the fish again. I know to the seasoned veterans, this is not news. But for the new people, this may help.
I have learned my lesson. I went back to my original lfs and bought a beautiful Heni. he is now in qt for a week, looking great all fat and sassy.
Thanks for letting me vent.

That is horrible these methods of capturing fish are still used. I cannot see how or why a store would choose to buy fish from a supplier that uses these methods...I guess they figure if customers fish keep dieing they will need to come back and buy more.

You hit the nail on the head. They won't get a penny more from me.

The real bummer is that many new hobbists give up because they can't keep anything alive and think that keeping SW tanks is just too hard. Newbies get roped in becuase they are cheaper than going to a good dealer not knowing how the fish they are buying was captured.

Sorry about your loss it's been a tough week on the fish front it seems. Yeah I have no Idea why anyone would buy a fish from a supplier and expect that kind of loss. That is just bad business. Having people plop down alot of money for a fish that the seller knows at best has a 50% chance to live is just stupid. If the fish dies and i get discouraged I am done with the hobby no more money for him. However if all goes well we will buy more fish/supplies/bigger tanks/etc..

Doan

Back
Top Bottom