A really good looking fake anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reese

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there an good looking and functional fake anemone out there? The ones I have seen in the stores look like crap, atleast out of the water. I have a pair of false percs that are inseparable and my tank is too new to think about adding a real anemone for them. Any suggestions for a good clown residence?

Thanks.

Fuzzy mushrooms. They love them(usually) and they are very hardy and tolerant of lower lighting. Clowns will take to most soft corals but my two O. clowns hosted in the shrooms. I don't think they will host in a fake anemone anyway. Those things are not soft and squishy and clowns like to lay down flat in their hosts.

Reese, do you mean like plastic ones? If so... I've never seen any that look nice at all. Plus, stores sell them for like $45 anyways... quite a rip off if you ask me. I'd rather wait till I have a mature tank & proper lights and get the real thing.

Clowns don't need anemones to survive... they do quite well w/o them. But as soon as I can get one, I will definately buy one for my two O. Clowns. :D

electrikat said:
Fuzzy mushrooms. They love them(usually) and they are very hardy and tolerant of lower lighting. Clowns will take to most soft corals but my two O. clowns hosted in the shrooms. I don't think they will host in a fake anemone anyway. Those things are not soft and squishy and clowns like to lay down flat in their hosts.

Thanks. When you say "lower lighting" are we talking about basic 50/50 or lower lighting compared to what you need for most corals? Plus will a fuzzy mushroom required a protein skimmer?

RLG2182 said:
Reese, do you mean like plastic ones? If so... I've never seen any that look nice at all. Plus, stores sell them for like $45 anyways... quite a rip off if you ask me. I'd rather wait till I have a mature tank & proper lights and get the real thing.

Clowns don't need anemones to survive... they do quite well w/o them. But as soon as I can get one, I will definately buy one for my two O. Clowns. :D

I agree. The ones I've seen in the store look and feel like they're made of wax or something. Plus they look awful. My kids have this ball that's made up of strands of rubber that would look so much better if it were made of safe materials. You'd think they'd be able to make something a bit more attractive.

Yes and I'm also definately in the market for an anemone once my tank is mature enough to handle one.

I mean they can be in the lower wpg like 3 wpg as opposed to the higher wpg needed for anemones. I don't mean type of lighting, I mean strength of lighting.

Back
Top Bottom