Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

A sad day for my reef.

Truely a sad day for my 55 gal Aquarium. I was using Marco dry rock but it is so dusty and crumbled easily. No matter how much i rinse or soak it, it crumbles and is so dusty! I Switched it out for Bulk reef Supply Pukani Dry rock. Added a bottle of Dr. Tim's one and only to establish bacteria. Woke up this morning and every fish was dead. Water was super cloudy, Skimmer was foaming like crazy and Only my snails and emerald crabs were alive. My Black Ice clowns were also dead. Did a emergency 30 gallon water change and my corals have opened back up and my snails are out roaming around. I have no idea what went wrong cause I "cooked" the dry rock for 3 weeks. Maybe I should go back to Marco Rock. Or is Live rock the best way to go? Be careful with Pukani Rock.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

When you added the dry rock it did not have the beneficial nitrifying bacteria on it. The rock was not cured. You`ll need to cycle the tank again before you add any mor fish. We have good articles on cycling the tank and curing the rock.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It's not a good practice to add a large amount of anything to your delicate system all at once. It's not the type of rock that's the problem.
Dr. Tim's is not a miracle elixir that deletes the need for a cycle. If you've watched the instructional/ promotional video they add the bottle then put 2 tiny clown fish in a 90 gallon system.
They don't max out the bio load immediately, which is what I think happened here.

How did you cook the rock exactly?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
When you added the dry rock it did not have the beneficial nitrifying bacteria on it. The rock was not cured. You`ll need to cycle the tank again before you add any mor fish. We have good articles on cycling the tank and curing the rock.
That's why I added the Dr. Tim's One and Only....
Old 12-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
It's not a good practice to add a large amount of anything to your delicate system all at once. It's not the type of rock that's the problem.
Dr. Tim's is not a miracle elixir that deletes the need for a cycle. If you've watched the instructional/ promotional video they add the bottle then put 2 tiny clown fish in a 90 gallon system.
They don't max out the bio load immediately, which is what I think happened here.

How did you cook the rock exactly?
Only had my 2 Clowns and 2 Chromis in the tank. All still Juviniles And some crabs and snails. So no big Bio Load at all. Cooked the rocks in a vinegar/ water bath. Then muratic acid bath. Then let soak in R/O water till it was was clear and no more debris.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownRomeo View Post
That's why I added the Dr. Tim's One and Only....
It takes weeks for that nitrifying bacteria to take over the tank. Adding that stuff did nothing at the moment.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bio load was from the rock, not the fish. A massive amount of nutrients all at once crashed the tank.
Cooking rock is just another name for curing it. You probably crashed the ph with those chemicals.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
The bio load was from the rock, not the fish. A massive amount of nutrients all at once crashed the tank.
Cooking rock is just another name for curing it. You probably crashed the ph with those chemicals.
I had a feeling it came from the rock. Brs has a disclaimer saying "it comes out the ocean and needs to be cleaned and cured" Over 100 posts say to cook it the exact way I did. Oh well I'm going back to all fiji Live rock.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

100 posts say to soak dry rock in muratic acid? I would have put the rock in a bin with a powerhead and salt water, added a little ammonia, and waited 3 weeks before I started testing for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
100 posts say to soak dry rock in muratic acid? I would have put the rock in a bin with a powerhead and salt water, added a little ammonia, and waited 3 weeks before I started testing for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
Yep since it's so much dead organisms on the rock.

Tags
reef, sad

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com