A tale of 2 snails ... Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atif

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here are the specs:

6G Nano with following custom add-ons:
Increased light to 2x18W.
Increased flow with alternating dual pump 2 returns.
Temp on the high side 81 degrees.
PH Test shows more bluish/purple on the Salifert test 8.x I think.
25% water change every 2 weeks

This is what I see:

1. fish 2 x clown are doing great.
2. Corals doing great.
3. Emerald crabs doing great.
4. I have an explosion of baby snails (i mean 50+) ...
5. All large snails have croaked, have replaced approx 10 of them and they croak within a week to 10 days.
6. I noticed that i had reduced water flow in tank (probably went on for a month). Finally I decided to do an inspection and noticed that many baby snails had clogged up the return pumps.
7. The baby snails seems to congregate inside the surface skimmer and recently there seems to be another 20-30 having a party in the surface skimmer.

Any thoughts on why my later LFS snails are croaking so fast? Since the big snails are gone where the heck are the little buggers coming from?

I dont know what kind of snails you have but higher temps could have something to do with it. I was losing alot of snail and I lower the temps to 77-78 and they started sticking around. Can you id your snails? BTW Welcome to AA

Welcome to the site!
How are you acclimating the snails?

ahh yes they were Astraea snails. The new crop of baby snails are of unknown origin!

Nope. Not acclimating them and never have done. Its funny cos they live for about 2 weeks and then croak.

I agree, you should do a drip acclimation. Looking at the temp in your tank, your LFS probably has a lower temp, different SG and/or different pH, this might be the cause of the deaths. Inverts are a lot less tolerant to parameter swings than fish.

ok. let me try with a new batch this weekend. btw where do these new baby snails keep coming from ... the tank has been adult snail free for 3 weeks!

You can try havng the snails self-acclimate too. Dry them slightly on a paper towel then hold them (1 by b1) to the glass above the water line till they attach. They will slowly move down into the tank.

welcometoaa.gif

Does that work for all snails? I might try that next time I add more. I usually get ceriths, nassis and margaritas.
I would the the nassis wouldn't like being out since they spend most of their time under the sand...?

Last edited:
When I get new nassarius and drip acclimate them I often find some climbing up the bucket. I'm guess that it will work for all species. I need to order some more myself so I'll try it with my next batch.

Are you getting yours locally or online?

My LFS no longer sells SW fish or inverts. I usually buy them from thatpetplace.com, since they are not too far from me, and I have always been happy with their shipments.

Back
Top Bottom