A tank w/out LR??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swishyfishies

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone ever done a tank without liverock? If so what was your reason. I am consiering this for our new tank when we move. Reason being availability & money. If I did this my substrate would be 100% live sand. This would be a fish only set up. Then I would have to figure out what other decorations I would have in the tank in place of the LR. Any input? :?:

Why not get some base rock (hirocks.com) and then add live rock to it? Should help cut down the cost. FFExpress, Marine Depot, and Tampa Bay Saltwater have good prices on LR. The LR and LS will act as your main filters. Another option could be DIY LR.

I would not spend my money on live sand at all. If you use Southdown play sand the cost will be pretty low if it is available in your area. Then add a couple of pieces of LR and the critters will migrate from the LR to the sand in time and before you know it you will have a functional DSB. If you have a friend with an established DSB then a small sample of his sand added to yours will accelerate the process significantly. Also there are some DSB seeding kits available on line.

Also if adding LR in bulk is the cost consideration I can totally relate. I started with 45 lbs... and have worked up to 75-80 lbs over time. Sometimes a $30 rock is hard to stomach.. but is easier then $165.

Yes, I started my first tank without LR and just bought a bunch of Lace Rock..I do not recommend lace rock though...I agree with maiceman in that you can use just the Southdown if it is available and then just add a cup or two of sand from a friend or your LFS if they do that..I have a LFS that sells LS at $2 per pound...It actually is in a tank and has critters in it...The stuff in the commercial bags is a bunch of hype. Don't waist your money. After a few months, you rregular sand will start to be live anyway...adding the LS will help speed up the process.
You may want to also buy a few pounds of LR so just as was mentioned, the critters will migrate into the sand from there.... I made my LFS dig the rock from the bottom of the pile next to the sand so that I could get some of the critters that were growing on or in the sand around it....He he...
I also bought a little LR at a time. however, it is much more expensive in the long run...hind sight being 20/20, I wish I would have bought it all at one time..much cheaper that way.. Most LFS's charge in upwards of $10 per lb for LR. 80lbs is $800 that way... not economical that way IMO. but, like I said, Hind sight is 20/20.

If you can't find Southdown or Yardright sand, you may want try Pure Aragonite for sand. a little more expensive, but good stuff.

I just bought some live rock I still need more.I only have 17 lbs in a 150 gal. with 20/20 where would you get your rock ?what kind?and how much?I would like to start exchanging out my lace rock for live .any tips?

Marinedepotlive, Liveaquaria, many other places to get liverock. Do a search on it and the list is endless.

Getting some DSB from a friend would work but I don't know anyone where were moving to do that. I'll just have to see when I get there.

Back
Top Bottom