Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

A trigger in the reef

I just purchased a small (about 4") Crosshatch trigger for my 120 reef yesterday. I know there is always a lot of discussion about keeping triggers from this genus in the reef aquarium so i figured that i would make a thread and keep it updated about the status of my Crosshatch in my tank. I know that every fish can be different, but maybe this can help to shed some light on how they interact with the inhabitants of a reef aquarium.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What else do you have in the tank?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Good article on triggers if you haven't already read it. Keep us informed.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great, I'll be checking in. Triggers look great in reefs, so it will be interesting to hear exactly how it behaves.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

tecwzrd, i've read that before, but thanx anyway, i'm sure it will be usefull for others. "My Info" is up to date so anyone can look at that to see what is currently in the tank. I dripped him for about an hour and put him in this afternoon and he is looking really good so far. I say he, but as of now its a she because its still a fairly small and has female coloring on the tale. This could change however, only time will tell.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You have to realize that whatever yours does, does not mean everybody else`s will do the same thing. Angels are a good example. Some do and some dont. I just dont want someone to say "Look all triggerfish can be in a reef tank". And realize one more thing that it took my angel 4 yrs to start nipping on corals so you might not see the actual results right away. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Too true, everyday we hear of certain breeds of dogs for example that "attack" but there are many people with that breed that never had issues. Fish like most animals are not all going to conform to their basic profile and most profiles are based on an average response across multiple fish of the same species.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know this. In my original post i said that all fish are different, but i think that with every experience we can learn a little more and with enough experiences and tests we can put a general tag on specific species. Just like we do with most angels and most triggers when we say that they aren't reef safe even though some do ok. This is just one experience that may help shed some light on a fish that most wouldn't keep in a reef.

Heres a pic of the little guy. Its a little blurry because he moves constantly, but i'll keep trying to get a better one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imgp0425_191.jpg (40.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Too true, everyday we hear of certain breeds of dogs for example that "attack" but there are many people with that breed that never had issues. Fish like most animals are not all going to conform to their basic profile and most profiles are based on an average response across multiple fish of the same species.
Same can be said of humans. Anyone can snap.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

He's a cutie!!

Tags
reef, trigger

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com