A trigger in the reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased a small (about 4") Crosshatch trigger for my 120 reef yesterday. I know there is always a lot of discussion about keeping triggers from this genus in the reef aquarium so i figured that i would make a thread and keep it updated about the status of my Crosshatch in my tank. I know that every fish can be different, but maybe this can help to shed some light on how they interact with the inhabitants of a reef aquarium.

Great, I'll be checking in. Triggers look great in reefs, so it will be interesting to hear exactly how it behaves.

tecwzrd, i've read that before, but thanx anyway, i'm sure it will be usefull for others. "My Info" is up to date so anyone can look at that to see what is currently in the tank. I dripped him for about an hour and put him in this afternoon and he is looking really good so far. I say he, but as of now its a she because its still a fairly small and has female coloring on the tale. This could change however, only time will tell.

You have to realize that whatever yours does, does not mean everybody else`s will do the same thing. Angels are a good example. Some do and some dont. I just dont want someone to say "Look all triggerfish can be in a reef tank". And realize one more thing that it took my angel 4 yrs to start nipping on corals so you might not see the actual results right away. JMO

Too true, everyday we hear of certain breeds of dogs for example that "attack" but there are many people with that breed that never had issues. Fish like most animals are not all going to conform to their basic profile and most profiles are based on an average response across multiple fish of the same species.

I know this. In my original post i said that all fish are different, but i think that with every experience we can learn a little more and with enough experiences and tests we can put a general tag on specific species. Just like we do with most angels and most triggers when we say that they aren't reef safe even though some do ok. This is just one experience that may help shed some light on a fish that most wouldn't keep in a reef.

Heres a pic of the little guy. Its a little blurry because he moves constantly, but i'll keep trying to get a better one.

Attachments

• imgp0425_191.jpg
    imgp0425_191.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 33
tecwzrd said:
Too true, everyday we hear of certain breeds of dogs for example that "attack" but there are many people with that breed that never had issues. Fish like most animals are not all going to conform to their basic profile and most profiles are based on an average response across multiple fish of the same species.
Same can be said of humans. Anyone can snap.

chase33 said:
Same can be said of humans. Anyone can snap.
I agree, we are probably the hardest animal to "profile"

That's a great looking fish :D

I sometimes think I'm going to have to setup a FOWLR to have a trigger, they are such awesome looking fish. Not to mention that If I said I was going to do it to have a trigger my wife would probably let me. She wants one.

GREAT Looking fish!!!

This one is in my reef. I personally don't think you need a FOWLR to have one. Crosshatch, blue throats and sargassums are ok in a reef imo.

Any problems with it messing with your mobile inverts at this point?

None at all. Cleaner shrimp is all over the tank and all snails and conches are still alive.

And here is a better pic. I took this one with the flash so you dont get the blue overtone from the lights. Shows its colors much better.

Attachments

• crosshatch_2_106.jpg
    crosshatch_2_106.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 32
aren't triggers known for eatting inverts?

would be kinda hard to keep a clean up crew, if thats the case

Most are, however, Crosshatch, Blue Throats, Sargassums and some others are from the genus Xanthicthys which live in deeper water and feed on zooplankton. They are also less aggressive. Because they are from deeper water and feed on zooplankton they aren't as familiar with reef inverts and aren't as likely to see them as a food item. These triggers can be kept in a reef as long as they are monitored because there is always a few bad apples. After all they are still triggers. And triggers will be triggers. But overall they are pretty reef safe.

Well we had our first Trigger related fatality yesterday afternoon. Wasn't really his fault, i don't beleive he intended to do it but he did none the less. I was feeding him juvenile silversides, which he loves. At this time the nassarius snails came out of the sand and started crawling around and up the glass. A piece of food floated by one of the snails and as he ate the piece of food he turned and saw the feeler thing that nassarius snails have and wack took a chunk out of the snail which included the whole feeler, which looks very much like the pieces of silverside that i was feeding. I dont blame him for doing it meliciously, but by accident as a feeding responce. Otherwise he hasn't touched anything in the tank.

I got bit by a trigger on a SCUBA trip. You would be surprised how much of a punch they pack.

Back
Top Bottom