Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2004, 08:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
A Wolf in Shrimp's Clothing

I need to get OUT of the 30 gallon. He is attacking all my fish, and I have seen him nip at my maroon's fin, and I think he nipped a chunk out of my wrasse! Any hints to get him out would be appreciated. When I try to scoop him out he slides behind the rocks. He has a pretty big clwspan so it wont be too easy.

Old 06-29-2004, 10:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

what type of shrimp? Im sure you could do a search for DIY traps and find something that fits...

Old 06-29-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

oops, coral banded shrimp.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

k, I've heard of folks making DIY traps out of 2-liter pop bottles. Let's give that a shot. Take a 2-liter bottle and cut the bottom of it off (big enough so that if the shrimp were in the bottom of the bottle it couldn't reach the top of the sides. Then take the top of the 2-liter bottle you just cut, and cut the top off of that so the hole is just big enough for the shrimp to crawl through (use where it hides in your LR as a way to judge how small of a hole it can crawl through). Now take that part of the bottle and turn it upside down and stick it into the bottom of the 2-liter bottle. Fill the bottle with water from your tank and put a nice big juicy bit of food in there for the shrimp (either a fresh deli shrimp or scallop, chunk of hallibot etc)and place the trap in the tank near where it hides so that it can crawl into it. Leave it there and wait. Eventually, it will succumb to the sweet smell of food and crawl in. When you notice it INSIDE the trap, go to your tank and pick up the trap, and move the shrimp to wherever you want. Have a plan for it yet? returning it to the LFS probably?
Old 06-30-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am thinking of either putting it in my 35 gallon (but he might go after the fish there) or take him to someone in my Fish Society. If that doesnt work, either LFS or one of you guys. About the bottle idea, he rarely leaves him safe area, and the hole will have to be as big areound as the bottle itself! I will try it though and post results.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:19 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

if it has to be that big... then make it as deep as possible to try and make it as hard as possible for him to climb out. Just cut the very top of the bottle off.

(obviously be sure the bottled has been cleaned throughly without using soap)

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com