AAAUUUURRRGGGG I hate lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moejoephd

Aquarium Advice Activist
i went and got some sand for my 100 gallon tank today, only 50 pounds, got 2 bags of salt and some water conditiner cost 100 dollars i dont think that was bad, any who, that guy told me that a rena xp3 first of all in not worth the money and that being rated for 175 gallons and my tank being 100 gallons its way under rated for my tank, and i should buy 2 more canisters and at least have a rated 500 gallon filtering capacity for a 100 gallon tank!!! do i walk around with a sing that lights up and says idoit on it? what would you guys recomend for a 100 gallon tank, like i said i have a rena xp3 and have a hot filter also rated for another 100 gallons is this enough or do i need more canisters?

I don'tr think you need more canisters. As much LR as you could afford is whats in order. 1 to 1-1/2 lbs per gallon of water is what you should be shooting for, wheather you buy it all at once or a little at a time.

We should all have a T-shirt that say's:

"Dear mr salesman, we are not here to make you rich. Please refrain from high presssure sales. thank you."

I think he was just trying to get you to use canisters to move more water, rather than using extra powerheads to get up to a higher turnover.
You don't need filtration, you just need current. He hoped you were too dumb to notice the distintion.

your 2 cents

lol your 2 cents was funny, so go for the live rock huh, im going to go for the little at a time method (that stuff is expensive) should have my tank ready tomorow will get pics up so happy!!

try to get as much initially as you can. check out www.liverocks.com they were the same price as local LR (including the overnight shipping), but the quality was better.
drsfostersmith.com has Fiji rock for some insanely low prices, but it'll have to be cured first. the stuff I got from liverocks.com basically didn't need any curing...you just need to keep an eye on it for any ammonia spikes.

I want two shirts....

One would simply read "Exactly what is your definition of reef safe?"

The other one would read. "I think I need to speak to your manager."

Back
Top Bottom