About Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, I haven't posted on here for awhile. I've stumble upon a couple of clams at my lfs and have decided that I would love to add one to my 40b reef. Now, Im not so much an expert when it comes to clams, I know you treat them just like corals but that's it. I would like some feedback from you all about clam background and conditions needed to keep one thriving. Now, I'd like to get either a blue maxima or blue crocea. Nothing too big though because I know they get very expensive.
A little background of my tank, I have a 40 breeder reef, lit with Tao Taotronics, and have a hob reef octopus bh1000 model. I normally have good water conditions (low nitrates) and I do regular 10% wc. Usually every week and a half to two weeks. Now, I've heard that clams are kinda hard to keep? If they're anything compared to anemones I sound be fine? My rbta and gbta are thriving and doing well in my tank so if that's the case should I be fine? I also know that they need to attach to substrate or a rock if not already and should usually be placed on sand bed.
So for you reefers who has a clam, knows a lot about clams because of experience, or use to have a clam, please tell me how you kept yours thriving and if you still have it today, how long have you had it for?

Clams are a little different from corals and anemones....first off the main difference id anemone don't rly on calcium or alk compared to corals....clams on the other hand rely on even more calcium and alk than corals, which is why they are considered harder to most corals. If i were you i would try a Crocea clam. They are a smaller clam which wont require as much nutrients and only grow to about 4". Maxima's on the other hand can get huge and are a little more tough Imo. I have a 75 gal reef which i do 20 gallon WC every month along with a BH2000 PS and a Biopellet reactor, i also dose 2 part along with having an ATO and GFO reactor. My Clam is purple with Blue speckles which i love....i got him at a swap for cheap, I'm pretty sure around 35$. If i were you i would give it a go....keep in mind that clam need great light and good quality water, i too have a LED's i built myself at 3wtt a bulb. Also remember if they aren't on a plug and you place them on a rock or the sand that will most likely be their permanent pos due to their plate that attaches firmly, if you try to remove it you will likely damage it and kill the clam....similar to pulling an anemone off a rock. Clams also like to be fed, not like mysis or food like that, but almost like a rotfilers etc.., ill take a look at what my bottle is called when i get home and lyk but i dose it 3x a week. Another thing to take into thought is that some fish will nip at corals like pygmy angels and butterflyfish. My flame angel is a model citizen in my tank for almost 2 years and only nips at chalices and acans. The way you described your tank i would go for it, the worst that could happen is it doesnt do good and then you know your not ready for them yet, if they do perish they dont release alot of nitrates/ phospates b/c some odd percent off them are water....they mostly have a low amount of flesh. Anyway GL with the clam at least thats my imput.
Cheers.

Been awhile jake. Glad to hear the tank is still going.

Clams are simple. Treat them like you would sps and anemone. Pristine water, good flow, and strong lighting. Most energy comes from lighting, so feeding isn't necessary.
When picking one out, make sure it is opened up and the mantle is extended. Look out for any pinching in the mantle. Also look for small snails around the foot, pyramid snails, along with holes in the shell and mucus coming from the bottom, can point to a parasite. Don't confuse this with the secretion that comes from the foot.
I'd suggest a crocrea or derasa clam. They are 'easier' clams that require less intense light than maxima. I personally have a derasa and it is a simple clam to keep.
Some say it is a myth that smaller clams are harder to keep, but it might be something you want to keep in mind if you are unsure about which clam to pick.

Thank you both for the replies! And haha yes been busy with college miss coming on these threads. I'll think about the corcea, I just love the vivid blue colors the maxima have. The only thing im afraid of is not having proper calcium/magnesium amounts in my tank because I don't dose. Although, I only keep softies and lps, no sps so maybe there's enough elements for a clam if I keep up with the wc?

Dosing is only required in major sps heavy tanks. You'll be fine. I'd just keep an eye on the alkalinity, my softies threw mine out if whack. Ally polyps close up. Lost an acro, but don't know if it is related to that or not.

Just got this 2.5inch blue maxima for $50. Just starting to open up. Thoughts?

image-1239776816.jpg

image-2702116187.jpg

Not a bad price and pickup. I like the blue. Keep an eye on it for a week as it'll try to move itself so it is happy. I keep mine on a piece of rock, but the rock is just under the sand so it can move itself around accordingly.

Thanks for the advice snipe! Can't wait for it to fully open.

It looks like it might be fully opened up right now jake. Hard to tell in the picture, but you can see the whatever the part of them is called that is the exit of its filter feeding. My maxima doesn't open up very far and the ones I've always seen pictures of look similar, like on liveaquaria. Compared to my derasa which opens up much more.

Yeah I wasn't sure myself. I looked at the pic the lfs owner sent me of it and it looks much wider so not sure. Do clams close at night? Cuz right now he is.

My maxima opened a bit larger today and I noticed the right side of it is slightly gaping. I read that this could occur when stressed or when it's getting acclimated still. Should I be worried or do you think it will eventually heal?

image-296183707.jpg

Back
Top Bottom