About to buy some new things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alright, i'm about to buy some things so i need to know what to do, and what you guys think.

First off, i made a list all of which i'm buying from bluezoo:

1x Lettuce Algae stalk
1x Tiger Pistol Shrimp
5x Tonga Nassarius Snails
1x Yellow Watchman Goby

As of this moment, my tank levels are as follows.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 15ppm
pH: 7.9
SG: 1.025

So there you have it. With my tank parameters as they are now, can i get all the things i want to? The only things i worry about the most are the pistol shrimp and the snails. If those are going to be ok in my tank, then i'm going to buy them tonight.

Thanks guys.

What's a Lettuce Algae stalk?
My pistol never bothered any of my snails, and I have nassis. There are jumbo nassis and the smaller species, I have both.
With the pistol, make sure you rockwork is firmly on the bottom of the tank. Mine excavated under every piece.
You could probably add a few more snails...maybe some nerites and margaritas.
How about a fighting conch too?

Lol, the lettuce algae stalk is a stalk of lettuce algae.. im guessing. At least that's what bluezooaquatics is selling.

Anyways, my rockwork is firmly secured in the sand. I have tested every single one of my rocks multiple times to see if they wobble, or if sand was pushed out, if they would fall, and all of them stayed completely still. No wobbling or unsecured pieces. So i know im good on that. Also, i don't have much algae in my tank, so that's why i wasn't going to buy any of those type of snails yet. The nassa snails are the ones that plow through the sandbed and eat detritus and leftover food on the sand, which i why i was going to get them. I was going to wait until i started growing some algae on the glass before getting any other types of snails, but do you think i should just get them now? I have alot of algae and decay on my rocks that im sure would feed them for years to come lol. The only other types of snails i was thinking about were nerite and astrea, the rest of them i didnt like. I'm not really a big fan of snails, and was only going to get the ones that did my tank justice. No conches either, don't like snails etc..

Astreas can not upright themselves and you will find yourself doing it for them.
The conch is awesome, it will burrow under the sand as well.

Really about those Astreas? They don't upright themselves? So then.. what happens when this happens in the wild? They get snagged by predators? lol. What about bumblebee snails? Can i get some of those?

In the wild, there are more currents and the ones that don't get turned over become snacks. Bumble bees will eat some other snails....

Well now that's not very nice of them lol. Alright then skip the bumblebees. I think as far as snails go, im going to stick to Nerite, Nassarius and in the future, if needed, margarita.

Just an opinion obviously... but if you wait until you have algae to get snails, you've probably waited too long. Not saying you need a full blown cleanup crew as far as algae eaters, but several astrea/trochus/nerite/etc would probably help keep things under control before they get out of control. Our tanks really need them, even if you're not a snail person.

Back
Top Bottom