About to OD on GSP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I cant ignore the problem anymore. My green star polyps have ended the cold war and are mobilizing their forces to conquer my upper reef slope. Is there something I can do to fence them in? Perhaps some other coral I can colonize around them?

I would not encourage coral warfare. It will not just affect the GSP but could also affect other corals in the tank. I would instead suggest fragging the GSP back or possibley placing smaller pieces of rock as a "breaker" for them to grow on. You can then cut the GSP and remove those frags to sell. Why not make some money on them. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

ReefRaff said:
put um in my tank. lol Mine have not spread since i put them in 8 months ago.
Increase the water flow over them. They spread much faster. Just be sure the flow goes in the same direction you want them to grow. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Steve this is a little of topic but I have a 20h gallon and I place my power head way up about an inch away from the black rim because I had it about halfway and my fish started to fade and not be as active so I figured they were swimming to hard. My PH is 152 gph do you think this is appropiate for my size of tank 20h gal. and what do you think about the positioning of it.

The GPH of the powerhead and positioning is fine. I would actually suggest you add another. It's more likely the flow is circular instead of a more chaotic flow. I would suggest adding another at the opposite end pointing towards each other or so the flows at least cross each other. It will give a more turbulent flow and less stressful on the fish believe it or not.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks I will order another from this guy on ebay where I got the first one. It is a viaaqua, he sells them for $9.

steve-s, I know nothing of saltwater stuff, I just read them for fun, and occasionally if I can think of something I'll say it... but I was curious, you said increased flow would help spread them... Would decreased flow help keep them from spreading? just a thought

Actually it's more "directed flow" than the total amount. Decreasing the flow intensity in a certain area can be accomplished by adjusting powerhead positioning. The overall flow within a tank needs to remain optimum. It might stem the growth in a certain direction but the GSP would just do a 180. YOu may just end up trading problems but it's a good suggestion.

Cheers
Steve

yea, I blast my GSP they bend and sway like kites in a hurricane and they are thriving from it, I think im just going to frag them. When I added them to the tank I made sure to place the mat on a rubble pile, so cut backs will be easy. They are some of the brightest and longest extended GSPs I have ever seen, so finding people to take the frags shouldn't be too hard :)

Brisc0 said:
They are some of the brightest and longest extended GSPs I have ever seen,
What color is the flesh? Got a pic? Actually sounds like it might be an encrusting gorgonian species. Briareum Stechei looks identical to a GPS.

encrustinggorgonian.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Steve, are those GSP or the Briareum? Here is a pic of what I have in my tank. The mat is deep purple
EDITED POST: Okay steve, well I just found them in Aquarium Corals on page 157 and 158, and I definately think that its the gorgonian rather than green stars. Kudos to you big time for the discovery.

Brisc0 said:
well I just found them in Aquarium Corals on page 157 and 158, and I definately think that its the gorgonian rather than green stars.
Mine is a Briareum, great coral but it grows like a weed and will quickly smother others so be very careful of placement. It is extremely hard to frag until it branch's. If it starts creeping too close to something you can either place a smaller rock in it's path a create a new frag or it will need to be "removed" from the bothersome area which can be a bit unnerving. It does not peel off, you actually need to rip it 8O

Good luck
Cheers
Steve

I luckily have it on a rubble bed, as far as fragging goes, I assume lifting a piece of rubble with new growth and then running a razor along the seam is sufficient?

Yea that should work. Your LFS might give you credit for some frags to.

Back
Top Bottom