Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
About to OD on GSP!

Well, I cant ignore the problem anymore. My green star polyps have ended the cold war and are mobilizing their forces to conquer my upper reef slope. Is there something I can do to fence them in? Perhaps some other coral I can colonize around them?

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 03:50 PM   #2
steve-s

I would not encourage coral warfare. It will not just affect the GSP but could also affect other corals in the tank. I would instead suggest fragging the GSP back or possibley placing smaller pieces of rock as a "breaker" for them to grow on. You can then cut the GSP and remove those frags to sell. Why not make some money on them.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-03-2004, 05:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
put um in my tank. lol Mine have not spread since i put them in 8 months ago.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRaff
put um in my tank. lol Mine have not spread since i put them in 8 months ago.
Increase the water flow over them. They spread much faster. Just be sure the flow goes in the same direction you want them to grow.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-03-2004, 10:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Steve this is a little of topic but I have a 20h gallon and I place my power head way up about an inch away from the black rim because I had it about halfway and my fish started to fade and not be as active so I figured they were swimming to hard. My PH is 152 gph do you think this is appropiate for my size of tank 20h gal. and what do you think about the positioning of it.
flatzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:09 AM   #6
steve-s

The GPH of the powerhead and positioning is fine. I would actually suggest you add another. It's more likely the flow is circular instead of a more chaotic flow. I would suggest adding another at the opposite end pointing towards each other or so the flows at least cross each other. It will give a more turbulent flow and less stressful on the fish believe it or not.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-04-2004, 12:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks I will order another from this guy on ebay where I got the first one. It is a viaaqua, he sells them for $9.
flatzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

steve-s, I know nothing of saltwater stuff, I just read them for fun, and occasionally if I can think of something I'll say it... but I was curious, you said increased flow would help spread them... Would decreased flow help keep them from spreading? just a thought
Old 06-04-2004, 11:10 AM   #9
steve-s

Actually it's more "directed flow" than the total amount. Decreasing the flow intensity in a certain area can be accomplished by adjusting powerhead positioning. The overall flow within a tank needs to remain optimum. It might stem the growth in a certain direction but the GSP would just do a 180. YOu may just end up trading problems but it's a good suggestion.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-04-2004, 11:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
yea, I blast my GSP they bend and sway like kites in a hurricane and they are thriving from it, I think im just going to frag them. When I added them to the tank I made sure to place the mat on a rubble pile, so cut backs will be easy. They are some of the brightest and longest extended GSPs I have ever seen, so finding people to take the frags shouldn't be too hard

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gsp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com