Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

About to throw in the towel.

I have been at this salt water fish tank since May and I just have had nothing but bad luck it seams. I went on a week vacation when I thought I was just starting to get the hang of things I came back to a ton of algae . Now I had some before, but I had just done a water change and sucked a ton of it up.

I know they were over feed over my week vacation because I had to buy an auto feeder and it was feeding them every day a decent amount.

I took some photos I am going to post. I just feel like selling the fish and corral back to my fish store, throwing out all my live rock, water and sand. and waiting a few months and starting fresh again by re cycling the tank.

However I don't know if you guys can help.

I am going to try to be more committed to fixing the problem this time. I think my filter might be an issue, the bio wheel is seized up it seams. It spins but very slowly. At the movement my protein skimmer is not working, but after my cleaning I should be able to fix that.

I have been debating getting a different filter I hear the biowheels aren't that great for salt water. Should I get a Fluvial?

With two clown fish and 1 coral frogspawn what should I be feeding them and for how much blue/white light?

I bought something called PhosGaurd and put it in a media back and behind my filter, but I don't think it does much. It's not placed in my tank very well. Should I try a different GFO? My brother recommend CemiPure?

I am going to do my cleaning after a few people respond. If perhaps you want to have a Skype conversation with me about this send me a PM and I can show you my setup via webcam.

PS: What is that purple thing that grew off my live rock/algae?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014[1].jpg
Views:	311
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	113901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015[1].jpg
Views:	295
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	113902  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016[1].jpg
Views:	288
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	113903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017[1].jpg
Views:	290
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	113904  

Old 08-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you want to quit because of some algae???Okay. If you start all over and you recycle your tank its going to happen all over again, this happens in the salwater hobby. Wipe it off the glass, purchase some turbo snails and they will eat all of the algae. Dont quit because your annoyed with it,

Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hang I'm there dude, I've been in the salty world's since march and have had my share of problems. That looks to be green hair algae. Probably from over feeding. But I am no expert. My first thought was that your flow wasn't sufficient, but seeing your pics it looks like you have 2 powerheads. What size are they, and are they running the right way? My korilias sometimes don't run the right way. Maybe try "aiming " them at the rocks or one towards the front glass and one towards the back.
And you can scrape the hair algae off but most likely it will come back. Butt it will eventually go away, I believe

mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah some turbo's and an emerald crab maybe

mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
So you want to quit because of some algae???Okay. If you start all over and you recycle your tank its going to happen all over again, this happens in the salwater hobby. Wipe it off the glass, purchase some turbo snails and they will eat all of the algae. Dont quit because your annoyed with it,
Agreed. It's still a new tank, it will work itself out, just going to take some time. Like Nu-Nu said, get some turbos maybe an emerald crab or two and it will go away. Trust me since I went through the same massive outbreak with my first setup, you'll appreciate it that much more once it clears up and settles out
Old 08-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd get a scrub brush drain 15% of yur water scrub all the rock in the old water and do 15% once a week for a while to remove the nutrients.. do u use rodi water? Or tap
Old 08-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that "purple thing" in the second picture looks like aiptasia, a pest anemone. If you have one you probably have more, and that looks like a decent sized one to boot. You'll want to remove it asap.

There's plenty of ways to remove aiptasia. There's injecting the thing with boiling water or boiling lemon juice, or buying Aiptasia-X and using that. Search the forums for even more ways to get rid of them, but you will want to get rid of them first. An abundance of hair algae is nothing compared to a swarm of aiptasia.

As everyone else suggested getting some turbo snails and an emerald crab will do wonders for your tank. I'd say maybe 2-4 turbo snails depending on your tank size. Take off the autofeeder and feed them by hand once or twice a day only as much as they will eat. Whatever they don't eat scoop out of the water. Keep up with the water changes and your tank should clear up in no time!

By the way that frogspawn is beautiful!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im also kinda new to SW, and it can be frustrating. What kind of CUC do u have? Get plenty of snails, hermits, maybe a conch. They're not fun to watch like the fish are, but IMO they're an important part of the tank cuz they eat all that annoying algae. I have a Fluval 406 on my 55 and I also have a Aqua C skimmer. I like my fluval, think it does a good job, but i also rinse out all the media every week with PWC so that nitrates don't build up. In my 55 I have about 30 snails and 10 hermits and a decent sized conch, and haven't have a big problem with algae yet. hope it gets better for u.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If I were you I'd put the frogspawn into an icecream bucket filled with tank water. Then take out that rock covered in hair algae, its WAY to much for some snails IMO and scrub that hair off into the sink or something. Get it as clean as possible them put it back in. Try to vacume the algae off the sand for now. Do a big water change to get some clean water in there and put the frogspawn back in. Then get some turbo's to eat the bits left cause you're not gonna get it all from scrubbing. DON"T scrub in the tank or the algae will just float somewhere else.

Your tank looks what, 20 gallons? A good hang of back skimmer would do wonders. I use the Remora Aqua c and a lot of people really like the reef octopus one. Either should work on a tank that size.

Once you get this beat you're gonna love your tank and appeciate the work you put in. Your frogspawn looks like it's doing great so you must have a decent light for it, clean that bad boy up and treat yourself to some awesome coral!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea maybe a lettuce nudibranch

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com