Absolute Neccessary Chems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonez

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've read none, if you do water changes on a clockwork schedule. The only chems I currently put in my tank is Iodine/Calcium/Carbonate. My tank is a little over a year old and I've had more propagation than ever. What chems are you guys putting in your tank on a weekly or bi-weekly basis?

OH...I do my PWC with Catalina SW, which is water off of the coast of california...most of my tank contains corals from Indonesia. However, they're doing with the california SW.

Many times regular water changes cannot keep up with the Ca and Alk absorption rates regardless of the chosen salt mix and those with more demanding reef displays often rely upon Ca, Alk, and Mg additions. Randy Holmes-Farley, if I remember correctly, has stated that 30%-50% daily water changes are just enough to maintain adequacy.

Last edited:
Many times regular water changes cannot keep up with the Ca and Alk absorption rates regardless of the chosen salt mix and those with more demanding reef displays often rely upon Ca, Alk, and Mg additions. Randy Holmes-Farley, if I remember correctly, has stated that 30%-50% daily water changes are just enough to maintain adequacy.

In what size tank??!!

Doesn't matter. The rate of absorption is what counts.

Well, I still put Ca and C03 in my tank...
I have a strange mix of coral/soft/stoney/polyp

They do well, and my xenias grow like wildfire.

Bonez, that is what you are supposed to do so *thumbs up* I will warn that Iodine tends to be hit or miss with many corals so be careful with it :)

Why do you add Ca ? Just wondering if you have ever tested for it and what was the readings. If you had a bunch of SPS corals You might need to. I would test frequently to see if you even need to add ca.

...and the follow up is..Never dose what your not testing. There is no one shot, cure-all regardless of what others are doing. If you have reason to believe you are depleting something between changes, test it, put it in an excel spread sheet (Or notebook) and track it to determine your add rate. It *really is* that simple. Best of luck.​

Back
Top Bottom