AbsoluteFaye's Mantis Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Daenerys is the khaleesi's real name. I'm torn. Lol. I should make her Arya! Lol I'm just slightly obsessed with GOT.

Daenerys is the khaleesi's real name. I'm torn. Lol. I should make her Arya! Lol I'm just slightly obsessed with GOT.

Lol I know... Daenerys just sounds too nice. Really you should call her cersei since she wouldn't bat an eye and kill everyone if she could. So I don't know too much about mantis husbandry, do you feed her live foods?

Do far I've fed her thawed clams on the half shell and she just comes and take it right from the tongs. I have two damsels in there and a bunch of hermits and snails for her but she hasn't touched anything yet. Just the clams. And yes cersei would be a perfect name!

I can now confirm that a 3 inch mantis shrimp cannot do damage to my glass solana tank. I heard a loud clicking, way louder than normal and saw her clicking away at NOTHING on the glass. Weirdo. No damage done though.

She's doing great! Won't use the PVC but she continues to expand her rocky burrow daily. She still takes clams right off my tweezers too. Almost instantly. Lol. Little piggy.

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t580/Absolutefaye/Mobile Uploads/image_zps9bbc8199.jpg

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t580/Absolutefaye/Mobile Uploads/image_zpse7919155.jpg

Since my mantis plugged up all her holes in the rock work with pebbles and only comes out to eat, my tank was super boring. So I picked this girl up yesterday. She's a green wolf eel (actually in the dottyback family) and she's about 10" long. Keeping up with the game of thrones names, I named her Sersei. At least the PVC is finally being put to use. She's already eating frozen silversides.

Probably getting ready to molt if she's closing up her burrow.

Yeah haven't seen her in a few days. There's pebbles shoved everywhere. Do you know how long it would take? I'm really curious because I knew they had to molt but all my regular "shrimp" just molt in the open. I know she's not technically a shrimp so I didn't know how. I'll have to read up on it I guess. I just hope the mantis and eel get along. The eel won't bother her because she can't fit in it's mouth. Worried that the mantis might bother the eel but I guess we shall see!!

They are much more reclusive during a molt than shrimp, I believe it usually takes around a week before they feel comfortable and come back out. The thread I linked to like way back on the first page from NR has a ton of mantis info, and TIki is what I would call a mantis expert and is always willing to answer people's questions.
Edit: and from everything I've read molting is pretty much the hardest thing they ever do. And it's fairly common for them to re appear with under developed appendages

Not sure on the mantis, but when my spiders Molt they are defenseless for a period of time, so they hide about a week after, perhaps the same principle applies?

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The mantis is out and about and boy was she hungry! Went to feed her a clam and the eel stole it so I had to feed the eel first. And I guess she got hungry during the night because there is a perfect eel mouth shaped injury on my white damsel. Lol. Guess it was too big for her. Crazy animals. :)

No. Her "home" is literally inside a piece of large rock. There's not even much flow back there so I doubt I'll see it unless something drags it out.

Hey, it's been a while, any updates on this build?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom