Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

AbsoluteFaye's Mantis Tank Build!

Finally I got a suitable tank for my mantis. After buying a tank with problems and no room for a sump, instead of racking my brain on how the tank could possibly be used for saltwater, I went out and bought a new tank. Haha. So what I'm working with is a Solana 34g AIO glass tank with wood stand. I have a modified skimmer, ATO, and will probably add a small PH soon. For lighting a have Current USA orbit LEDs. I'm using dry Pukani dry rock so it's curing right now. I'm curing it in the tank since the tank was used I figured that stuff would die off as well while curing. Here is my setup.

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2e2z7o3m.jpg

Anyone have any advice as to curing in the tank? I plan on removing all rocks and water and then putting the rocks back with new water and then start the cycle with a table shrimp after it cures. I have way more rock in there than I am using because hubby is going to steal some for his new refugium after it cures.

Just wanted some thoughts as to what to expect with this method and if I'm doing anything wrong PLEASE bring it to my attention. Thanks for reading!

Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You reinforcing the bottom? I think the curing should be fine like that, maybe add a ph but that's all I can think of

Old 02-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not reinforcing. I'm doing a 2-3" sand bed with a PVC tunnel. If he gonna be punching anything it's not gonna be the bottom of the tank. I hope anyway.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I mean if I want I guess I could order a piece of acrylic for under the sand but I don't think it's necessary.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Woooooh!!! Glad to see you got a tank faye! I can't wait to see it come together
Old 03-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update on the tank. I'm being VERY patient with this tank. A few days after the start of curing the pukani rock, my phosphates were at 0.81 eeeeekk!!! I added an extra phos-reactor I had lying around and some cheato and a few days after that it was at 0.12. (I'm using the Hannah checker so I know it's pretty accurate). Soooo I'm going to scrub a bit of the rock this weekend, wherever it looks really gross, then do a 100% water change and add my table shrimp to finally start the cycle! I'm going to cycle with the lights on a timer just to make sure I'm not going to get huge algae spikes or anything. (Besides diatoms). If anyone has any other suggestions for me or thinks I'm doing anything wrong PLEASE feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sounds like a good plan to me Have you decided what type of mantis your going to get?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pretty sure I'm getting a peacock. But I'm open to a purple spot or any other colorful one.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Peacocks have the most personality I miss mine
Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ya my lfs has a 2.5"-3" peacock that's already colored up since blue and red for only $50. Wish I had an extra 30 cycled Faye if your in the Chicago area I'll let you know where

Tags
build, tan, tank, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com