Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Absolutely amazing.....

So, as some of you know, I like saving creatures from my supermarket . I have littleneck clams, and 2 oysters. Today I got this awsome looking clam/oyster thing (forget the name) a cherrystone clam (HUGE 4-5"), a steamer clam, and a bag of mussels. One of the mussels had a giant break in his shell exspoing almost all of his body. I put him in the QT tank, and hes ALIVE!!!!!! He will be going in my fuge, so the fish dont eat him. Just thought this was sooooo interesting. BTW for all of you that want crustaceans they make great pets! Just buy them at the grocery store and plop them in your tank! Theyre AMAZING!!!!!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats awesome, how well have they survived in your tank? I thought they were all cold water species at the super market and wouldn't survive in the warmer tanks. How long have you had them? Do you target feed them?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's very cool! But arent those species harvested off Cape Cod and what not? Cold water over there!
I did research on lobsters for a while, and I feel sympathy for them when I see them in the grocery store. But that research actually gave me a taste for steamed lobster yum
Let us know how your clams go!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I tried that once, but the clams didn't last long..... How long have you had yours?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ive had the clams for over 2 months and got all the other (oysters 1 week ago) yesterday. The lobsters definitely wouldnt work cause of cold water, but these guys I think are gonna be just fine . They all look healthy and are doing good.

Tags
clams, crustaceans, fish, mussels, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com