Acan garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve silbernagel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking to start my acan garden. Looking for info on best way to position them. I got 3 frags in the sand bed now. Is it ok to push them down in the sand?

I have two three head frags on plugs and had pushed the plug under the sand and the acans weren't to happy. I raised them some and the are all fully open now. I use my baster to gently blow them off if they get sand on them

Here is my two. I am going to get two more of different colors.

image-3306012348.jpg

I'd show mine off, but they are deflated as I'm currently doing my weekly water change. If you want to see them just look at my build thread, UPGRADE 55 gal Build. They are all in there.

Where's the best position for acans. Wondering if I need to move them as one of them got sick and half died off. It had a jelly like stuff over it so I shook it off with a powerhead and half of it was gone leaving a white skeleton

Sounds like brown jelly disease to me. I don't know much about this one really, but positioning in the tank doesn't cause brown jelly. Long as they are in the sandbed with a low-medium flow they'll be happy. Mine got pissed off after the water change this week, but they came back. They are usually pretty hardy. I'd QT the one with brown jelly.

Unfortunately Brown Jelly disease often kills the infected coral. The best thing you can do if it is brown jelly is to frag off the infected head. Brown jelly disease affects many LPS corals, and it can spread to other corals.

What causes brown jelly disease. The only thing different about that frag than the others I got that same day was that the core skeleton was cut really short

Steve silbernagel said:
What causes brown jelly disease. The only thing different about that frag than the others I got that same day was that the core skeleton was cut really short

No one really knows what causes it, or why it kills corals. From some studies done it appears that brown jelly is made up of mostly beneficial organisms that already multiply naturally in a reef tank. How or why it attacks corals is not understood exactly to my knowledge.

Steve silbernagel said:
Should I be doin a heavy water change

Nah i dont think it would do anything. Only way ive ever dealt with it is by siphoning out any brown jelly you see with and airline tubing and by fragging off the affected head(s).

If you have a QT tank that would be a good idea to help prevent it from spreading to other corals in the tank.

Well bad news I lost one of my acans from brown jelly disease. Can't understand it the 2 others I got at the same time are doin well. Poorly fragged I think, the skeleton was cut really close to the tissue. :(

Steve silbernagel said:
Well bad news I lost one of my acans from brown jelly disease. Can't understand it the 2 others I got at the same time are doin well. Poorly fragged I think, the skeleton was cut really close to the tissue. :(

When fragging acans its hard to avoid all tissue sometimes but usually in will not harm the frag and it will heal and recover. However if brown jelly is in the tank tissue damage can make them more susceptible to being infected i have found.

Back
Top Bottom