Acan Not Growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I would do water changes first instead of dosing. even if you dose your calcium might precipitate onto your heaters or power heard before the coral can consume it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And do I necessarily need to have the calcium at the levels recommended? I only have this one acan so after a water change I should test the water to see if it has increased? If it isn't higher than usual then do I dose?

With your calc so low one wc won't be enough to increase it to the 400s. If you want you could do a larger wc and then check how much it has changed. And once again because your system is not that large doing WC is easier than trying to dose. If you want to do dose tho you have to measure every day how much your calc and alk are changing so see what your system is using. And this take weeks to month to get good stable parameters sometimes....

With your calc so low one wc won't be enough to increase it to the 400s. If you want you could do a larger wc and then check how much it has changed. And once again because your system is not that large doing WC is easier than trying to dose. If you want to do dose tho you have to measure every day how much your calc and alk are changing so see what your system is using. And this take weeks to month to get good stable parameters sometimes....

Ok thanks

+1. For a small tank the WC is the safest way of bringing your water parameter back on track. Then you need to figure out how to control your phosphate. You could be over feeding your acan. Too much waterflow is also a possibility. Once you are on track, I would do 10% weekly rather than 25% bi-weekly for stability reason.

I just tested my saltwater in my saltwater mixing bin and I noticed that my calcium is at 340 ppm. It seems as if when I do the water changes I might not be putting much calcium in because I guess I am not getting it from my salt. What should I do?

What salt are you using? Fresh mixed salt should be much higher than that. What is your test kit you are testing with? Also how long do you mix your salt?

The salinity of newly mix salt water dictates the content of calcium on it. Meaning the higher the salinity the more calcium you will get. A low grade salt mix wont give you enough calcium at 1.024 salinity. Most reef keepers prefer it to be at 1.026.

What salt are you using? Fresh mixed salt should be much higher than that. What is your test kit you are testing with? Also how long do you mix your salt?

I am testing with an API test kit. I mix my salt in a 32 gallon brute trash can. I have a heater in it. I fill it with RO/DI water and add salt from the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt for a 1.023 salinity and 420 ppm of calcium. I then use my hand and arm to mix the water. I felt like that is easier than buying a power head. I mixed it last weekend so this weekend I will use it in my water change. Am I doing things wrong?

Yes you are doing it wrong. Although the salt mix manufacturer says their salt is a quick mix, it does not mean that you only have to steer the water several times and you're done. After steering, you still need to mix it continuously with a circulating pump for hours or even better overnight. Your new salt water will also have more oxygen when there is surface agitation by the pump. What happens is that after you mix it just with your hand (which is not advisable) most of the salt stays at the bottom and what you are measuring is the lighter mixture at the top.

Usually I mix my salt the morning of my wc let it stir all day with power head and then when I get home from work do the wc

Yes you are doing it wrong. Although the salt mix manufacturer says their salt is a quick mix, it does not mean that you only have to steer the water several times and you're done. After steering, you still need to mix it continuously with a circulating pump for hours or even better overnight. Your new salt water will also have more oxygen when there is surface agitation by the pump. What happens is that after you mix it just with your hand (which is not advisable) most of the salt stays at the bottom and what you are measuring is the lighter mixture at the top.
So if I get a powerhead and start mixing the saltwater properly will that I guess dissolve more of the Calvin into the water? I measure the salinity and it is correct. Or I am measuring the salinity at the top of the water column in the bin and below it is not fully dissolved and that is probably the lack of calcium?

Yes power head it to get proper full mix and what are you measuring salinity with a refractometer? Make sure that whatever you are using to measure is calibrated!

Yes power head it to get proper full mix and what are you measuring salinity with a refractometer? Make sure that whatever you are using to measure is calibrated!

Yes I use a refractometer.

Ok so if you can't get a good mix even after mixing with power head. I would change to Instant ocean salt mix. If gives around 420 ppm calcium. I use it and love it

Red Sea Coral Pro is fine to use. IO's calcium content is not even close to 420ppm. Perhaps you are referring to Reef Crystals, or checking it with a bad test kit.

Ok so if you can't get a good mix even after mixing with power head. I would change to Instant ocean salt mix. If gives around 420 ppm calcium. I use it and love it

The sides of my scan are turning white. Is this bleaching? Is there anything that could be causing this and ways to stop it?

Yes this is bleaching. Where is the acan currently in your tank?

Yes this is bleaching. Where is the acan currently in your tank?

Like bottom five inches of tank. I did just recently move it, it used to be in a little bit of an overhang but I can't see how it would have gotten shade in this area. Maybe new parts of the acan are being introduced to a little bit higher par? Can it get used to it because I just glued it and I like where it is?

Maybe wait and see how it does. If it gets worse move it back towards the shady area and slowly move it back out into light over next few weeks

Back
Top Bottom