Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfish12 View Post
Yes I would do water changes first instead of dosing. even if you dose your calcium might precipitate onto your heaters or power heard before the coral can consume it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And do I necessarily need to have the calcium at the levels recommended? I only have this one acan so after a water change I should test the water to see if it has increased? If it isn't higher than usual then do I dose?

Old 09-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

With your calc so low one wc won't be enough to increase it to the 400s. If you want you could do a larger wc and then check how much it has changed. And once again because your system is not that large doing WC is easier than trying to dose. If you want to do dose tho you have to measure every day how much your calc and alk are changing so see what your system is using. And this take weeks to month to get good stable parameters sometimes....

Old 09-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
With your calc so low one wc won't be enough to increase it to the 400s. If you want you could do a larger wc and then check how much it has changed. And once again because your system is not that large doing WC is easier than trying to dose. If you want to do dose tho you have to measure every day how much your calc and alk are changing so see what your system is using. And this take weeks to month to get good stable parameters sometimes....

Ok thanks
Old 09-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

+1. For a small tank the WC is the safest way of bringing your water parameter back on track. Then you need to figure out how to control your phosphate. You could be over feeding your acan. Too much waterflow is also a possibility. Once you are on track, I would do 10% weekly rather than 25% bi-weekly for stability reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:

I just tested my saltwater in my saltwater mixing bin and I noticed that my calcium is at 340 ppm. It seems as if when I do the water changes I might not be putting much calcium in because I guess I am not getting it from my salt. What should I do?
Old 09-19-2015, 03:55 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

What salt are you using? Fresh mixed salt should be much higher than that. What is your test kit you are testing with? Also how long do you mix your salt?

Old 09-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Use a salt mix that's closer to natural sea water.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

The salinity of newly mix salt water dictates the content of calcium on it. Meaning the higher the salinity the more calcium you will get. A low grade salt mix wont give you enough calcium at 1.024 salinity. Most reef keepers prefer it to be at 1.026.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
What salt are you using? Fresh mixed salt should be much higher than that. What is your test kit you are testing with? Also how long do you mix your salt?

I am testing with an API test kit. I mix my salt in a 32 gallon brute trash can. I have a heater in it. I fill it with RO/DI water and add salt from the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt for a 1.023 salinity and 420 ppm of calcium. I then use my hand and arm to mix the water. I felt like that is easier than buying a power head. I mixed it last weekend so this weekend I will use it in my water change. Am I doing things wrong?
Old 09-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you are doing it wrong. Although the salt mix manufacturer says their salt is a quick mix, it does not mean that you only have to steer the water several times and you're done. After steering, you still need to mix it continuously with a circulating pump for hours or even better overnight. Your new salt water will also have more oxygen when there is surface agitation by the pump. What happens is that after you mix it just with your hand (which is not advisable) most of the salt stays at the bottom and what you are measuring is the lighter mixture at the top.

Tags
acan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com