ACAN Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I recently picked up a few Frags from a LFS.. They are all doing well so far. The owner pretty much threw in this ACAN Frag.. I think he charged me $5. IMO It doesn't look too healthy. I don't know ANYTHING about this type of coral.

Where should I place this, In the substrate or on a Rock like I have it now?
When it spreads, does it attach itself to Rock or does it create it's own foundation?
Do I need to Feed it?

Here is a pic of it:
show9.jpg

You lucky person, hehehe.... that's a great deal for ACAN... congrats Mista!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks healthy to me. $5 is a pretty good deal to boot!

Probably want to put it mid tank or so, medium lighting, not high flow. Low to medium flow will work. They don't seem too fussy. On the rockwork, not on the substrate. They will lay down their own skeleton like most all corals, but it will spread outward from the edges.

It doesn't need to be fed, but it won't mind being fed mysis and small meaty foods. You wouldn't think they could eat mysis but squirt some on it sometime... you'll be amazed at how quick it devours it. I feed mine once a week or so.

it WAS a good deal..But I had just spent alot of money on 3 frags and he's getting a Birdsnest and some others for me next week.Plus, he mentioned this was part of a large colony that was for sale for a long time and never sold. So, he fragged it.

OK.. so I'll move him mid tank and will DEF try to target feed him some Mysis tomorrow (today is an off feeding day in my tank).

I was worried because it seems like it has a grey dusty look to it. I'll keep an eye on it and compare it in a week or so to the pic taken today.

From what I'm seeing, that dusty look is just the coloration of the coral. Most likely that's why he couldn't sell it. With all the amazing colored acans out there, who wants to buy a big colony of so-so colored ones. Don't be surprised if it changed colors on you a bit under your tank lighting. Who knows... it might brighten up for ya!

From what I'm seeing, that dusty look is just the coloration of the coral. Most likely that's why he couldn't sell it. With all the amazing colored acans out there, who wants to buy a big colony of so-so colored ones. Don't be surprised if it changed colors on you a bit under your tank lighting. Who knows... it might brighten up for ya!

Gotcha.. Thanks for the info!

BTW - Fed mysis today to the tank.. I wasn't exactly sure how to target feed them so I tried using a childs medicine syring. Having 3 kids under 4 you can imagine I have many of these... Anyway, I quickly realized this will not work as it shoots the mysis out waaay too fast. I guess next time I'll try a turkey baster.

I usea regulare syringe to feed my Acans (before my tank crash anyway) and it worked just fine, just don't push so hard on the plunger!

Back
Top Bottom