Acans in a new aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phranque

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tank is still cycling, in the meantime I've been reading until my eyes bleed.....

The question I have is regarding putting an Acan into a brand new tank. Almost everywhere you read, it's specifically mentioned that SPS should be added to a "well established" aquarium, but you don't see that much with LPS. The guy I'm going to be buying my frags from has some beautiful pieces of acan.... all of his frags are about 1" to 1 1/2" in size, and I'm probably going to pick up 3 to 5 pieces total when the tank is ready. Thinking a paly, zoa, mushroom or two, and an acan if it's OK in a brand new tank, or give it some time?

I've got the 28g 89 watt LED nano with two extra hydor 425's in the bottom back corners, so I'm figuring the acan could go in the sand bed front/center in the tank where the light & flow is more moderate, and I'm aware of giving everything some space around it.

The main reason SPS are suggested for established tanks, is that established tanks will generally be more stable, which SPS corals require.
Acan's are actually LPS, and I would think, if your water parameters are good, you should be fine getting an Acan. They are, IMO, as easy to care for as most other LPS.
Enjoy your tank, Phranque!

Excellent, and thanks for the response. I've read the acans are on the hardier side for an LPS, just looking to make sure one will be OK in a brand new system. I think I'm getting pretty close to being done on the cycle, so I'll get some corals in and then some CUC as soon as I get my diatoms. No fish are going in for quite a while....

Back
Top Bottom