Acceptable temp swing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackdp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My LFS is having a huge sale tomorrow and one of the things on my wish list is a small Crocea they have. The question...throughout the lighting cycle on my tank (20 long) the temp swings from about 79-83 degrees F. Will this much variance stress the clam too much. This tank has just been upgraded to MH lighting and with it just getting warm here in PA I'm just now figuring out what the tank's temp will be like and what might need to be done to stabilize it. Unfortunately this tank sits in a 2nd story room that gets full afternoon sunlight which makes the room hot even with central AC running. Thx for any info.

I"m working tomorrow at the sale :lol: I think that temp swim is ok....mabye up your heaters to 80, so the swing is only 80->83. My tank was 85 when I got home from work today 8O These MH lights are insane, I think I need to install my air conditioner.

BTW, I'd get there as early as possilbe tomorrow, according to our store manager we had over 20,000 customers last year and this year is supposed to be bigger. Another thing, if you viist the tent sale outside, the prices on the items are open to negotiations, not sure if all the customers realize this or not.

I think the temp swing of 4 degrees in a day, is ok for established inhabitants, for new arrivals...it's questionable. I agree with jamal-188 up the heater to 80-81 and the temp swing will be minor ;)

Hey, Jamal...guard those Croceas for me...the small ones you know which ones I mean :wink: Are the corals and inverts included in that 20% off? Just curious thx for the info I'll try upping the heater tonite.

jackdp said:
Hey, Jamal...guard those Croceas for me...the small ones you know which ones I mean :wink: Are the corals and inverts included in that 20% off? Just curious thx for the info I'll try upping the heater tonite.

Lol, are you talking about the tiny croceas? I actually only work at 12 so I think I'm gonna go early this morning and get some stuff myself. I ran out of money yesterday when I was digging through the tent. They have a couple clams that are probably 10-12" 8O but the price is 8O as well. Well good luck at the sale. Oh yeah, I belive corals are on sale too but I"m not 100% sure.

OK, so we know y'all are going to this sale this morning (you know the one we can't go to cause it's half way across the country and you keep rubbing our noses in it.....
realmad.gif
) we need an update as to what you got ;) I expect to see it in this thread or a new one in the new aquaisitions forum,
4_12_5.gif
pics would be nice too
thumbs.gif

Sorry for the nose rubbing lol. I hit the sale first thing this morning and got a small green/blue Crocea like 3" and a small hammer coral. I think it was a good deal, the Crocea was like $47 and the hammer was like $20. I also just ordered a new digital camera so I didn't want to go crazy lol. I have to get some pics once they're in the tank.

I've got Kent phytoplex, and some Marine Snowbut no live, is that good enough? They stopped selling DT's around here and to get it shipped in is outrageous. Oh yeah, they are also giving out free 5 gallon bags of Oceanic salt, and free fish food samples and 10% off all frozen food and.....sorry I'm nose rubbing again. :mrgreen:

10_5_135.gif
10_5_135.gif
10_5_135.gif

I've never been a fan of phytoplex or marine snow, I've always considered them an algae bloom in a bottle ;) It does not necessarily have to be live, there are a couple of products I would consider, but the phyto by knop is probably what I would use with a small clam ;)

Who would have the Knop stuff, is it the Knop coral vite that I've seen? Is it live? Should I grow my own phtyo cultures? Do I ask too many questions? Oh yeah this LFS also had a bargain tent where you could buy scratched 125 gallon tanks for like 100 bucks, there were probably 500 people standing outside waiting to get in when I got there this morning..craziness I tell ya. :twisted:

BTW, if jackdp, if you've ever been to The Hidden Reef in Philly they sell DT's. I'm trying to get TFP to start carrying it.

Post pics when you get them of your coral/clam!!!

Well because I"m an employee I got first dibs on the tent sale :p I got to pick stuff out yesterday so I got a 75 oceanic tank for $75 and a $30 for my new angler for $20. I also got a 36" 2x96w PC Moonlight for $90, it has a broken switch which I'm sure I can fix for almost nothing. Also got a XP2 canister filter for $60. So I made out pretty well :lol:

TFP used to sell DT's up until like a year ago. I actually just sent e-mails there asking why they stopped selling DT's if they still sell corals and clams that benefit from it. Especially clams, they had some blue maximas that were only like 1" Maybe if they gut bugged enough they'll get it back.

Regarding the temp swing, my tank got up to 87 today when I was at work 8O Everything looks okay tonight but tomorrow the AC is going in!!

Back
Top Bottom