Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2004, 11:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is a integrated sump??

Old 02-23-2004, 09:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

More on sumps...

...sounds like an integrated sump is one that is actually inside the main aquarium...more of a refugium than a sump. The entire reason that I put a sump in place was to add water volume and hide all the heaters, probes, skimmer etc. etc.

As a final security device I'm now adding a float switch in the sump that will shut off all the pumps if the water level in the sump does anything unusual.

I think the benefits of a sump outweigh the potential problems. You just have to think the scenarios through carefully.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

flood protection...

... so the final protection is in place. I've wired up a float switch that will stop the sump return pump in the event that the sump water level drops. (if the sump water level is dropping, it would suggest that the siphon has failed and you had better stop the return pump fast..)

Now I can sleep at night and when I hear funny water noises I can relax knowing everything is OK.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:24 AM   #14
cj10488

Quote:
if the sump water level is dropping, it would suggest that the siphon has failed and you had better stop the return pump fast..
I think this would be a bad Idea unless you also have a Float switch to replace Evaporated water.. I would suggest just drilling your return line just below the waterline in your tank.. Or putting on a flap valve so that water can only flow 1 direction.. That would be the safest method for both your livestock and your floor.. FWIW most siphoning happens when the power is already off therefor your return would already be off.. The flooding usually happens at the sump level do it it being lower than the tank..

HTH<
James
Old 03-01-2004, 01:26 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I like the check valve myself. I put one directly above the return on the pump, its good for two things. 1. Water can't run back down and 2. having it that low on the plumbing leaves the return plumbing flooded so there is not an explosion of bubbles when I restart the pump.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Safer is better..

[/quote]
I think this would be a bad Idea unless you also have a Float switch to replace Evaporated water.. I would suggest just drilling your return line just below the waterline in your tank.. Or putting on a flap valve so that water can only flow 1 direction..

You misunderstand the function of the float switch. It is NOT there to prevent the reverse flow of water back INTO the sump. It is there to prevent the aquarium from overflowing in the event that the overflow siphon box stops.

Imagine that a large snail finds his way into the return pipe, or something caused the aquarium return siphon to stop. The return pump continues to pump water INTO the aquarium. In my case, the aquarium begins to overflow in under 30 seconds. The dropping sump water level triggers the float switch to stop the return pump before this happens.

Yes... if I didn't compensate for evaporation, this could also cause the sump level to drop and the pump to stop. At least I would be dry while I figured out why the sump level dropped.

If you are running a bottom drilled tank where the water falls down through the bottom of the tank, there is less to worry about. But if you are running a siphon overflow box you have to have a plan to prevent overflow if the siphon action fails.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com