Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

accidental syphoning sucks!!!!!

A couple days ago I shut down my pumps to apply some Joes Juice and was not concentrating on the water level of my sump. Then I heard the sound of water pouring out of somewhere. Low and behold, my sump was overflowing. I never thought that this would happen due to the placement of my returns. WRONG......

WARNING..... if your return are lower in your tank than your overflow, you have the potential for a syphon to develop when your pumps are shut down. As the water level drops in your tank, the syphon will start sucking water out of your returns until air can find its way into the system.

I think I have fixed this from happening again by drilling a small hole in my low return near the normal operating water line. Now when the water level drops, it should suck air rather than water.

BTW... Joe's Juice did kill the Aipstasia.....AWESOME!

SDF
blancoh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

:P

SDF
blancoh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ouch!!

When I first setup my tank, I actually overflowed the water out of the tank! I had a CPR overflow and forgot to turn the PH on to run the thing.

Old 02-22-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
cj10488

I think we all have done something like this at one time or another.. When I hard piped my plumbing into my tank I didnt realize why the hole was on the return line that was included so I didnt bother putting a hole into the PVC when I piped it.. the first time I shut off my main pump it dawned on me as I sat and watched my sump overflow frantically trying to stop it.. I thought to myself "Thats what that hole was for" So not really having the time right then I figured before I shut that thing off again I need to drill a hole.. Halloween night I took the kids out and the city blew a transformer and I realized I still hadnt drilled that hole.. I frantically jumped into the car and Drove like h3ll to get home and stop it from draining half my tank.. Well I got home and I was too late.. The very next morning when i woke up I drilled the hole.. Thank God I live in an Apt that way I dont have to put up with all the water damage I have caused... Seems when we have aquariums we somehow always end up flooding something (Or atleast I do)

James
Old 02-22-2004, 05:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you don't want to drill a hole in the return pipe, you can add a check valve right before the hard piping begins also.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

back siphon into sump...

I lay awake at night for hours trying to come up with a way to prevent back siphon...and came up with that "hole in the return pipe" idea. (I could have saved some sleep if I had been active on this site at the time.... )

Anyway... I didn't drill a large enough hole. When I tested for back siphon, the siphon action was so strong that the sucking of air into the siphon still did not stop the siphon.

Bottom line: I put in a check valve...AND...I never run the water level in the sump higher than the amount that a full reverse siphon will pull back into the sump. (the ultimate failsafe)
Old 02-22-2004, 07:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Bottom line: I put in a check valve...AND...I never run the water level in the sump higher than the amount that a full reverse siphon will pull back into the sump. (the ultimate failsafe)

Same here. Even if the water continued siphoning past the siphon break, my sump could still hand the volume of water. It would be close, but it would hold it...
Old 02-22-2004, 07:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Halloween flood

...a small piece of just about anything would have sucked over the return pipe would have stopped the siphon while you drove to the store.

...you should also consider adding a flow valve/union to the return pipe just above the return pump. Normally, you would use this to shut off the return and disconnect the pump for servicing. On Halloween, you could have valved the return shut, stopping the siphon.

If the return pump is external to the sump, you would also need a valve/union on the input side so that you could remove the pump. (My return pump is submerged in the sump so I don't have this need)
Old 02-22-2004, 10:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

stories like these are why I have been hesitant to add a sump!
Old 02-22-2004, 11:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I love my integrated sump! I know I lose some main tank volume and it does take up space, but no water ever leaves the tank ad nothing has to be drilled or plumbed.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com