Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Accidentally didn't acclimate my polyp???

I was floating my coral (polyp colony) in a bag as I normally do with the top open. Well after about 15 minutes of floating the bad sunk to the bottom instantly filling the bad with my water. Do you think it will be ok. I havn't seen any of the poylp opens up yet. btw I did this yesterday.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
steve-s

Been there myself.... LOL

Some corals will definately react adversely but most (button?) polyp corals are fairly hardy and should survive just fine. It really boils down to your water quality and the diffference in chem between your tank and the tank it came from.

Chances are it will just take longer to acclimate properly and fully open. Keep tabs on it for necrosis but other than that there not much you can do. With MH lights, I would also suggest placing it low in the tank at least for the time being. Although 2x175 on a 90 is not overly intense, all the extra acclimation TLC you can give it the better.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-21-2004, 01:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool. Thanks for the help! I hope it makes it. It looks like a healthly piece it's already ready to frag. I thnk these thing spead like week though
Old 06-21-2004, 04:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol think everyone has that happen !! have learned to turn a few pumps off while floating bags like that it helps heheh had 100 snails fall into the water after floating less than 5 min after the shipment arrived lucky all seamed to handle it fine !! after my tank heated to over 90 and i moved my polyps to another tank asap my polyps all made it so as long as your tank has other living healthy animals i feel ya be fine as well good luck
Old 06-21-2004, 04:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

LMAO. Im so glad to see im not the only one that this happend to. I never said anything cause i don't want to look as dumb as i really am
Old 06-21-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

or heres another dumb thing !! have ya ever just filled a jug of water from your ro unit and forget it was running and come back with water everywhere i swear if i dont set a timer i will never remember hehehe
Old 06-21-2004, 05:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please...if it wasnt for my RO/DI unit, my kitchen floor would never get washed.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
now why dont you guy just close the bag back up and put a little air in it and seal it again and let it flote. then it will not fall to the bottom. i do this after my drip. becasue i keep the coral/fish right in the bag and put the bag in a 1/2 a milk carten. then i just can pull the bag out after the drip and let it flot.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I dotn even try to acclimate and I have yet to have anything pass
Old 06-21-2004, 05:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkameleon3
I dotn even try to acclimate and I have yet to have anything pass

man you are lucky.. Although I think most of these corals are tougher they most people think. I would be my luck that mine doen't make it.

Tags
acclimate, polyp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com